Looking for a primer on ignition sequence and drivability.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Example, in a gasser retarding the timing will up the egt causing a cleaner burn.
Now it seems the opposite is true in the 7.3?
anyone point me to some research???
The basic rule of thumb here is advance to 9.??? And feed it air.

So either my meter is off or my eng ran better at 3.5 than at 9.3??? It ran hotter but pulled from idle way better!
Now with 9.3 its a dog off idle and gutless with a light load pulling.

What I need to see is what happens to the eng when its retarded vs advanced! I see that a very few here are using less advance say 6 deg btdc and swear by it however the lions share say 9-9.5 or so.
I am not looking for an education on volumetric efficency but a good ole farmers education.
All i have read shows the mpg and power goes up with a modest 1 deg advance bump, now this eng has 38k stock inj and pump( new bb's and junior await ) I want to get a good baseline first, I have pulled the 5er as a baseline, done one adj then pulled out to the coast (one tank load) check mpg and move onto another adj!
So far running at what the j 33300 said is 3.5 the best mpg came form 5 psi 1150 deg and a light pedal!
Then turned it up to 10 -10.5 psi now it pulled more like the old banks... I ran a light pedal low rpm, then i ran it hard ( around 3-3300 rpm) mpg dropped from 11-12 to 8-Down
I have not driven it much aa I think something is off with the new meter and don't wanna burn the Eng down, so I need to do some homework.
Thanx in advance cb

Last edited:

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will check it out when I can get to a mainframe!
Apreciate it!
Cb

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yep already read that one. altho its written on a detroit it does give some insight. thanx cb