Looking for a good coolant temp gauge.

agp23109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions? What is more accurate, mechanical or electric? I have a VDO electric now but its kind of hard to estimate the exact temperature since the temp marks are pretty far apart on the gauge.

Thanks in advance!

ZOP

Reaction score
My experience is that the mechanical automotive gauges tend to be far more accurate.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
You could try taking it apart and marking it the way you want it. I found this with a quick search: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=161219

Put your mark where it normally runs with a different color so you can see quickly when you are running too hot or cold.

I am playing with this now trying to get the 6 volt gauges in my '57 IH looking and working good.

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I like the Autometer Sport-Comp mechanical gauges. Here's the setup I'm using in one of my other truck projects.

You must be registered for see images attach

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In 2011, electric senders are very accurate. I personally don't like running hot fluids into my cab (coolant, oil, fuel). I run electric oil pressure, coolant temp, and fuel pressure gauges. I like the AutoMeter Z-series as they are very close to the factory style with a black face, white lettering, and orange needles.

Heath

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In 2011, electric senders are very accurate. I personally don't like running hot fluids into my cab (coolant, oil, fuel). I run electric oil pressure, coolant temp, and fuel pressure gauges. I like the AutoMeter Z-series as they are very close to the factory style with a black face, white lettering, and orange needles.

Heath

Technically the only fluid going into the cab with the mechanical gauges is oil. I learned a long time ago to toss the nylon/plastic ( whatever it is ) line kit that comes with most oil pressure gauges. I replace them with a copper hardline. And I've never had a problem with one.

The mechanical coolant temp gauges use a capillary tube that is completely sealed. So no coolant goes anywhere near the cab except the stock heater core.:D

And the mechanical fuel pressure gauges that mount inside the cab use an isolator( that gets mounted on the firewall ) so no fuel goes inside the cab.

And don't forget about the mechanical boost gauge.:D

I prefer mechanical gauges myself. I don't like that the electric gauges can be effected by loose or dirty/corroded connections. But with that being said I am running an electric speedometer on my 54.:eek: But that's mainly so I can reprogram it when I swap gear or tire sizes without having to mess with pulling the cable and swapping the plastic drive gear.:D

I also like full sweep gauges. You can get full sweep electric gauges but they aren't cheap! I'm running a fuel sweep fuel level gauge on my 54.

If you like electric gauges run them. I'm sticking with mostly mechanical gauges in mine.;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70