Looking for 6.9/7.3 bus/med truck engine

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Title says it all. I am in need of a 6.9/7.3L idi bus or medium duty truck engine. I do not want a pickup engine cause quite frankly I do not want to have to swap everything over. I need this engine for another project other than my military truck. Located in Montana.

wej612

Reaction score
know anything about a DT360 a tiny bit bigger that 6bt, but you truck/tractor pullers run 300psi stock. makes the 6bt look brittle. I have springs to run up to 4500rpm and adapter to run a p7100 pump off a dodge.. can turn the stock pump up to more than 6.9/7.3 idi power. Let me know if that is interesting at all! got a complete one. I took mech fan off, was going electric. Otherwise all accessories are there!

wej612

Reaction score
I also have an eaton fuller FSO8406A transmission. 6speed full synchronized.. comes in med. duty trucks rated to 80k gvw. Got a kid coming.. consolidating my projects! trans rebuilt resealed new synchros... good for 250k + hard miles let me know if your interested. was going to.list.. have two out put shafts.. complete setup.. linkages, shifter, etc!

wej612

Reaction score
That trans has a .7x overdrive. I can look up the number. pretty much the best medium duty synchronized manual trans out there. have the flywheel, clutch, throwout bearing etc.. everything. the out put shafts for parking break and no parking brake.. didnt dig up a complete parking brake setup yet...

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
I am needing a bus engine to build my overall powerunit that I pulled the ford flathead v8 out of. It is an old hobart welder but the generator is a SAE2 bellhousing. The bus engine has the same front and rear mounts plus the air compressor brackets (which I want to add a 20gallon compressor to it in order to run air on the fly if need be) the bus engine is also more narrow than the pickup engines and the passengers side exhaust manifold will help with the clearance issues of the overall system in the enclosure.

As far as the transmission goes for my military truck. I have to have a transmission that can also run an air actuated sprag in the transfer case.

If I am not satisfied w/ the 6.9 i have in the 5 ton 6x6 i have a NGD DT466 that is in pretty good shape. I do not mind the extra power of the engine it is just with the size of the engine bay and the limited space to run the intercooler system will be the biggest pain. As well as overall coolant capacity. upping a 466s power by 20% means you might have to increase coolant capacity by 100%. Not to mention 700 or 800lbs of torque with 8.88 ring and pinions will be a little overkill. but with the 16 speed spicer it should yield overall good results if i decided to go that route.

wej612

Reaction score
yeah, lot of reasons to go bus motor. My dt360 has a nice air compressor and two ac units on it. removed ac tho. The trans did have pto provisions, not sure if it could work with what you would need. only idi I have is a low mile 94 turbo truck idi. The cooling capacitu doest jump that crazy unless you use all that torque long time duration. As long as it has a little extra for some spirited driving youll be fine. I just threw it all out there lol.