LED lites, cruise and ABS

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
Put LED lites in my 91, ABS lite now on after a mile or so. Didnt bother me much so left it alone. Put LED lites in a friends 92 and same problem, also his cruise wont work any more. I remember something about the 3057 bulbs and the 2057 bulbs and one not compatible with the ABS. Need to get this fixed ASAP. Anyone else run into this?

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Cruise and ABS units generally send a small volatge through the brake light circuit as a continuity check. LEDs (diodes) only work when they reach there breakout (?) voltage, so when you apply < that voltage you have an open circuit. Possibly putting a parallel resistor will solve your problem, but watch your voltage to your LED.
Good Luck
James

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
You'll need to measure the resistance of the stock bulb and add a resistor of that value wired parallel to the leds. Might be tricky if the 2 different bulb ratings tripped the light.

I have leds on all 4 corners of my toyota and the turn sigs wouldn't even flash until I put resistors in.

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
krawlr said:
You'll need to measure the resistance of the stock bulb and add a resistor of that value wired parallel to the leds. Might be tricky if the 2 different bulb ratings tripped the light.

I have leds on all 4 corners of my toyota and the turn sigs wouldn't even flash until I put resistors in.

Where did you place the resistors?

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
You would place the resistor parallel to the LED. Like our batteries, they are wired in parallel too. You have one single hot wire, and one single ground wire. Connecting the resistor to the hot, the LED to the resistor, and the ground to the LED would be series. Connecting the hot wire to the resistor and the LED, but branching them off seperatly and rejoining them at ground would be parallel. You could probably slip a properly rated resistor from the hot to the ground terminals of the LED, or backprobe the connector with it. You would need to do this for each affected circuit in at each bulb.
James

82fordtruck

Reaction score
were you able to find them for the third brake light, or just the rear ones? I have more trouble with that third brake light.

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
both trucks are service bed and flat bed. Just put in the Groate 4 inch round 28 dollar cheapies :rolleyes: Any way. I have looked all over the web for something on this and not much out there. What I did find shows resistors from 25 ohms down to 3 ohms. Not sure which ones I need. They are designed to solve the blinker problem which sounds common but not the problem I am having. So not sure if that is the fix or not. I cant even find the old tech bulletin on the factory light. And if I remember if one tail light went out it triggerd the ABS light. I would think with the LED popularity now some one here would have or knows some one who has run into this. Both trucks have cruise although mine has no throtle cable, and that seems more important to my buddy than the ABS. With the weight he has on that truck all the time it would never lock up.

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
Magoo said:
both trucks are service bed and flat bed. Just put in the Groate 4 inch round 28 dollar cheapies :rolleyes: Any way. I have looked all over the web for something on this and not much out there. What I did find shows resistors from 25 ohms down to 3 ohms. Not sure which ones I need. They are designed to solve the blinker problem which sounds common but not the problem I am having. So not sure if that is the fix or not. I cant even find the old tech bulletin on the factory light. And if I remember if one tail light went out it triggerd the ABS light. I would think with the LED popularity now some one here would have or knows some one who has run into this. Both trucks have cruise although mine has no throtle cable, and that seems more important to my buddy than the ABS. With the weight he has on that truck all the time it would never lock up.

Mine are wired to the turn signals but the issue is the same. I don't think I have a **57 bulb around to test but I'll go out and look now. You get the resistors at Radio shack.

Gimmee a few........BRB

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
OK, I have 8ohm 20watt resistors on mine. I don't see them listed on the R/S site though, probably have to walk in. I found a 3157 bulb in the garage and it measured .8 ohm on the bright filament. (but that sounds like too low of a resistor to me)

I think I would try 5 ohms and work my way down. The worst you can do is blow a fuse or the resistor, less than $2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online