i've always wondered...

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Think about it this way - it takes 2 revolutions, the camshaft turns 1/2 the engine/crank speed so it would take 2 crank revolutions for the camshaft to make one revolution and complete the cycle once.

Flagship

Full Access Member
Reaction score
more math for you.
the generator on our boat has 30,500 hours since last overhaul.
new injectors and head gaskets is all its gotten, burns 1 quart of oil every 24 hours.
being a two stroke 4-71 detroit, thats alotta firings in that time running 1200rpms

Let's see... 1200 RPM means 72 thousand revs per hour.

72 thousand revolutions per hour times 30,500 hours is 2 billion, 196 million, times each injector has fired. That's a lot of times!

That's 3 and a half years of steady running! Once again proving that those "Two Stroke Jokes" are very well suited to constant RPM operations.

Flagship

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now your beginning to understand why RPM's hurt fuel milage. The more R's you turn, the more injection events per second, and the more fuel your blowing through unnecessarily.

thats one of the issues im running into with my mopar 360/rx7 project. 4.10:1 rear gears, 1:1 final trans gear ratio and 25 inch diameter tires make it rev too fast to get decent gas mileage. gas mileage will be really bad until i change rear gears out.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
thats sounds right flagship.
the gen was replaced in 2000.

we have two gens, start one sunday at noon, and shut the other one down, so yes, they run 24/7 every other week.

mechanoman

unruly dually
Reaction score
You get two complete revolutions when you fire all eight... four of them fire on the first revolution, the other four fire on the second revolution. Each cylinder fires every other revolution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online