its alive (well sorta)

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats right i wired gertrude (dont make fun of the name she is sensitive) up today started right up however when you rev it up it cuts out real bad and smokes like a locomotive when it idles it sounds really good? any suggestions on what may be causing this to happen? thanks brian

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
is the fuel shut off solenoid coming on completely? When I was having electrical connection issues my solenoid wasn't pulling on fully it was only going about 3/4 of the way and I had issues with it running smoothly and power issues. I found mine by checking it while it was idling and reaching down and I could pull it the rest of the way up and she cleared right up.

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i thought bout that to so i held it up manually and it still did the same...at an idle its smooth and dosent smoke at all but give it any throttle at all and it cuts out bad and smokes white

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think that it was low fuel pressure theres a check valve in the return line on the back of the ip that regulates the pressure i ordered a new one it should be here tommaro hopefully it works...as far as i know the ip has never been messed with but the next thing i check will be the pump timing

** the symtoms of the check valve goin bad and my problems are identical

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well replaced that valve today nothing improved i dont know what else it could be besides a blown head gasket,,so far i got new injectors, all new fuel lines,it has gotten much better however because it wouldnt rev up at all now i can gett the rpms up but its still misses and the smoke burns my eyes anybody have any more suggestions before i pull the head off? thanks brian

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Make sure the wind isn't coming in the opposite direction when You decide to floor it :D, that'll fix the eye burning problem. J/K

Now I'm not very familiar with the 2nd gen but I believe they have a AFC spring or something maybe the IP is pushing too much fuel and there is some kind of air restriction. This is assuming the smoke is black and not white. Did You say You checked the fuel pressure?

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i was definately down wind from it hahaha....

yea fuel pressure is good... it does seem like it is getting way to much fuel if i ease into the throttle no missing just smoke

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance