Issues with running B-99

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello!

As some of you may know, I've been putting B-99 in my 300D ever since mid September. Now, in that time, I've noticed a somewhat considerable power decrease, along with a slight loss in fuel economy and some extra smoke.

My first thought on the power decrease was clogged fuel filters (as that's apparently a common thing with switching to Bio-D), but when I go back to dino-diesel, the power immediately comes back...that shouldn't happen with clogged fuel filters, correct?

Does this all sound normal? I had been under the impression that Bio-D would generally make the car run better, not worse. Between the power difference and the fact that Bio-D is now $0.45/gallon more expensive than dino-diesel, I may be forced to switch back to dino-diesel :(

Thanks!

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
What is the outside temp in your area? Yesterday it was around 30's and the fuel was gelling maybe that is causing you some problems

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever driven the car on Bio-D at a temp lower than 55°, and we haven't had a "cold spell" below 45° yet this season. It's been up into the high 80's and low 90's, with the same problems...so, I don't think it's the temperature :(

bct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where are you getting the b99? is it the same batch youve noticed the problem with or over multipul fillups from multipul dealers?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's all been from the same dealer (the only one in the area who sells Bio-D in any mix :(), but over the course of time, I think there have been 3 or 4 different batches (the price changes each time they refill the underground tank). That IS a possibility, except I know someone else who's been using the same fuel from the same dealer, and has seen his power and mileage increase.

BTW, I did a bit of an Italian tune-up on the car yesterday, and power seems to have come up a bit. I'm not sure how it compares to dino-diesel, and I haven't driven the car enough to see if there'll be any change in mileage either way...but this may be an indication that my mufflers wer ejust clogged up? I suppose we'll see...

Thanks again :cool

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I attended a mercedes wvo conversion demo yesterday, so I know enough to be dangerous. The mechanic running it says two main reasons for reduced performance are plugged fuel filters and air leaks.