Is it possible to over-advance the IP?

discbrks

Reaction score
This afternoon I advanced the IP in hopes of the truck running better after my injector change last weekend. Now I can't get the truck to start. I had to remove all 8 lines from the tops of each injector. I also loosened the top 4 lines (that I could get to) on the IP. And I loosened the center fuel supply line on the IP. I got everything back together - but no start. I then remembered that I forgot to tighten the center supply line on the IP. Got it tight, still no start. I can't seem to get fuel at the injectors. Did I run all the fuel out of the IP by leaving the line loose? Or is it over-advanced? It's gotten dark, so it'll have to wait til morning.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not too hard to over advance the timing, doing that isn't a good idea. I think you might have air in the system but being way too far advanced is also a possibility. If you want to see what gain is to be had by advancing the timing try advancing it about a dime's width or so from where it was when you had it static timed. If it won't start right, makes a harsh diesel sound, or smokes black excessively you may have gone too far. It is very possible for a good shadetree mechanic or home mechanic to get acceptable timing results by ear but for best results tools and the luminosity or pulse method should be applied.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
make sure the fuel shut off wire is still attached to the pump, if your too far advanced you should still get fuel to the injectors

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you getting any smoke out of your exhaust? That will happen for sure regardles of the timing.

discbrks

Reaction score
I didnt see any smoke, but then again it was almost 9pm when I was trying to fire it up. There's not any "diesel" sound either. I'm getting 12v at the IP. I'm thinking that I ran the IP dry since I left the supply line loose and it all dumped in the valley. How much fuel does the IP hold? My elec. f/p is wired so that it doesn't run in "crank", so that might be why I'm having a hard time getting fuel. I think I'll hot wire my f/p so it runs continously, crack open all the injector lines, and spin it over - hopefully I'll see fuel. If its over advanced, will it still crank up? Just run crappy & black smoke?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
My elec. f/p is wired so that it doesn't run in "crank", so that might be why I'm having a hard time getting fuel. I think I'll hot wire my f/p so it runs continously,

Bingo!
The pump HAS to run while the engine is cranking. That is a critical time. You have run the injection pump dry. Once you get your wiring straightened out, you should be fine.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah thats going to be a big problem. If its too far advanced enough to be a problem you'll notice a harsher diesel clatter when its running and it may be harder to start hot. You might also see excessive black smoke.

discbrks

Reaction score
You guys were right! Thanks! I wired the pump to run full-time, and within 3 minutes she fired off. I did have the Ip timing too high as it was barely puffing black smoke at idle. I've always heard 'adjust the timing a dime's width at a time' - I guess I should of followed that advice. I fell victim to the 'if a little is good, more MUST be better'. After backing the timing off a dime's width, no smoke at idle. It does smoke when I rev it up. Is that normal or do you think I still have the timing too high? Also, the lopey idle is still there. After getting up to temp, I cracked each inj. line while running to try to isolate the lope. Every injector really made the motor really miss when I cracked the line. So I couldn't isolate the lope. Maybe that's the nature of the G codes until I can get the turbo on. Any ideas?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You really need to get it dynamically timed properly to get maximum power and economy. Otherwise, your just guessing and possibly leaving power and fuel savings on the table.

discbrks

Reaction score
You're right Agnem... I gotta find a good diesel shop around here. Any other shop, when I ask them if they can time the truck they give me that deer in the headlight look... as if they have no clue what I'm talking about.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Where is here, you may be near someone who has a timing setup. If not, for about the price of one timing job , you can buy a Ferret and with that and an advance type automotive timing light yo can time the thing yourself and you'll have the thing for next time.

sassyrel

Reaction score
disc--you need to put your location in your avatar--someone might be close enough to help you-----

discbrks

Reaction score
Yeah, location might help, huh? Sorry 'bout that. I'm in Columbus, GA... about 100 miles south of Atlanta right on the GA/AL line.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HarleyCummins

Members online