IP removal

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the only mark I need to make to keep timing when removing the IP is on the IP housing and on the timing gear cover? Correct?

suv7734

Reaction score
Correct.
I find that if I take a center punch and 'aim' it between evenly the two and give it a pop it will leave a dimple on both... makes it really easy to get it 100% aligned when re-installing since sometimes lines are hard to see.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes as long as you don't loosen or remove the gear cover you just put it back where you had it and you have the same timing as before assuming the same pump and injectors.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I never did understand why this is?
It just "covers" the gear correct, (if) it's removed does the gear move somehow? And on mine it's the oil fill too.

If you re remove the cover , the gear comes with it, and then it's timing nightmare time -cuss With the waterpump in place you can't see the timing marks on the cam gear and the pump gear so you have to do a bit of song and dance approximating. There's a procedure in ziggs website that will get you in the ballpark, , but even after aggrivating over it for hours, it's still easy to be off a tooth. Not a huge deal if you have timing tools, but if you don't, disasterous.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The only thing that the gear is connected to is the three funny bolts on the nose of the injection pump. once you undo those, the gear is loose. if you leave the cover in place it keeps the gear from moving and holds it's timing, but if you pull it up, the thing flops over.
alternatively, if you try to take the pump off attached to the cover, it takes the gear with it , and it's major timing nightmare when it goes back on.

Only way to do it is to pop the two little inspection plate bolts off the cover and take the three little odd mounting bolts off ( 12 pt 8mm works here use locktite blue when re installing and torque to spec)

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing that the gear is connected to is the three funny bolts on the nose of the injection pump. once you undo those, the gear is loose. if you leave the cover in place it keeps the gear from moving and holds it's timing, but if you pull it up, the thing flops over.
alternatively, if you try to take the pump off attached to the cover, it takes the gear with it , and it's major timing nightmare when it goes back on.

Only way to do it is to pop the two little inspection plate bolts off the cover and take the three little odd mounting bolts off ( 12 pt 8mm works here use locktite blue when re installing and torque to spec)

Got it...now I see the big picture...if the IP stays mounted/bloted to the gear the cover can come off but, if the IP comes off it's best to leave the cover on to keep the gear from flopping over.
thanks for the clarification ;Sweet

Last edited:

masterbeavis

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Aw cmon, it wasnt that bad!! I made some very good guesses last night!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online