Intermittant surging

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
So I'm enjoying the last few wooks of driving Goldie and last week I notice a surging when driving. Looked at the fuel gauge........CRAP less than 1/4 tank. Filled it up no problem as the surge went away.
Easy fix but no time and hey I got a backup truck.:D

So coming back with the family from church yesterday, the surging reappears at 3/4 tank!!!

RUTROH RAGGY! :puke:

20 miles from home with the family in tow I begin to start thinking that the lift pump may be on it's last diphragm.:eek:

3 years of burnin veggie took it's toll on the return lines this summer on the way to the rally has me thinking the lift pump may be falling victim as well. :mad:

Now I've been one of the unspoken stock lift pump advocates but having acquired an electric pump and several spare mechanicals, I'm at that proverbial fork in the road having a Moose pump installed as well and fearing I may have to go electric to properly juice the Moose.;Really

Having prolly the last good week of weather this week and a line of vehicles scheduled this week, poor Goldie is gonna have to sit this one out since it will require more time for install than I can afford.:(

Plus me thinks it's time for another gauge to add to the collection.

Fuel pressure.:D

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Holley Red is having a bit of trouble these days keeping up with my Moose fuel. I'm lucky to have 1.5 psi at heavy throttle. Once it dies, I may try a diffferent pump, but I may not.

The fuel pressure gauge is a great addition the cab of any IDI.;Sweet I've got one in the F250, and I'm adding one to the crew cab during it's upgrade.;Really I'm running an Autometer electric Z-series, plumed into the filter head. Very nice.

Heath

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Was this a definative fuel type surge (feels like NOX) or more of a "Hmmm, she seems to be running better all of the sudden" surge that is more commonly related to drifty IP timing? Go ahead, ask me how I know the difference.LOL

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Was this a definative fuel type surge (feels like NOX) or more of a "Hmmm, she seems to be running better all of the sudden" surge that is more commonly related to drifty IP timing? Go ahead, ask me how I know the difference.LOL

Oh it was a definite seat of the pants and hold on moment.:sly

She leaned out and popped up to 14 psi on the ole boost gauge rigiiiight now.

IP only has about 1500 miles on it and I've sensed the drifting IP syndrome before.

Heath thats my dilema too.

I've got an older Holly Red setting the the shop with a Carter and another unknown name brand electric fuel pump there also.

I've had good luck with the mechanicals but knowing the Moose needs more fuel, now's the time..... Put up or shut up right?LOL

Soooo that's where I've got the hang up and I really need to get Mater's valve guide seals replaced this year before I start running him full time.
He's consuming as much oil as he does fuel.:eek:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I like the electric pumps in so many ways I install the on My diesels every time I can afford it. The electric will eliminate small air leak hard starts, You can pull fuel from the tank with out starting the engine, there are many uses for the electric pump. ON the cummins I need two pumps to feed it and keep it happy but on the IDI one Good pump is enough and will allow the ip to run cooler as well with the additional volume of fuel.

For wvo I still can't find a pump that will take it all, maybe some time but sooner or latter they give up be it bc of the heat or the slow flow allowing it to get too hot. I like the facet pump with the nice clear filter and so far is running well for the last couple of years but I killed one before this one.

Hope this helps.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Holley Red is having a bit of trouble these days keeping up with my Moose fuel. I'm lucky to have 1.5 psi at heavy throttle. Once it dies, I may try a diffferent pump, but I may not.

The fuel pressure gauge is a great addition the cab of any IDI.;Sweet I've got one in the F250, and I'm adding one to the crew cab during it's upgrade.;Really I'm running an Autometer electric Z-series, plumed into the filter head. Very nice.

Heath

I agree Heath. I have a light that comes on now when my presure drops below 5 PSI, and it comes on a lot. I'm thinking about plumbing a second Holley Red in parrallel that will come on at heavy throttle. The presure is dropping due to a lack of volume.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh it was a definite seat of the pants and hold on moment.:sly

She leaned out and popped up to 14 psi on the ole boost gauge rigiiiight now.

IP only has about 1500 miles on it and I've sensed the drifting IP syndrome before.

Heath thats my dilema too.

I've got an older Holly Red setting the the shop with a Carter and another unknown name brand electric fuel pump there also.

I've had good luck with the mechanicals but knowing the Moose needs more fuel, now's the time..... Put up or shut up right?LOL

Soooo that's where I've got the hang up and I really need to get Mater's valve guide seals replaced this year before I start running him full time.
He's consuming as much oil as he does fuel.:eek:

We had a discussion about this on another thread where I noticed that my truck took off like a ***** ape just before it ran out of diesel. Your IP may be seeing a "low fuel" situation and reacting the same way. It's not important how much fuel is in the tank, only what your IP is experiencing.

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so how do you check what is wrong? In my truck when ever it surges like that I pulled the fuel filter and it was half empty. I know I was outta fuel. My buddies 93' 7.3 did that when a 1/2 tank and he pulled his fuel filter and it was competely fuel. All stock IP and lift pump no aftermarket fuel pumps. What could be the problem?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I'm thinking about plumbing a second Holley Red in parrallel that will come on at heavy throttle. The presure is dropping due to a lack of volume.

Mel I tried two pumps in parallel and it didn't work in My setup, now two pumps n the same line, one next to the tank and the second one close to the filter works great for Me.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
I agree Heath. I have a light that comes on now when my presure drops below 5 PSI, and it comes on a lot. I'm thinking about plumbing a second Holley Red in parrallel that will come on at heavy throttle. The presure is dropping due to a lack of volume.

Which brings to mind a couple ideas that Darrin and I were talking about this this morning as well.

Since I have to repair the fuel delivery system and now is the time to get all my poo in a bag and get it right so I don't have issues again.

Now here's my next set of questions and this one is aimed at ya Mel.:D

Wha'ts the optimal fuel pressure range that the Moose pump is happy with?

Do we run a secondary fuel pump to aid with increasing fuel delivery under heavy fuel requirements that are activated aff a pressure switch set to "said" pressure to keep the Moose Happy?

I see EZ has tried this but I would like to explore ALL options and am looking for input thoughts, trials and tribulations from all.

ORRRRRR is it time for the FASS system to feed the Moose???:dunno

Either option isn't gonna be cheap or plug and play to install so I'd like to hear what's out there.

Monte I'm almost certain that the lift pump is failing due to the number of years that I've been running veggie and experiencing what the oil does to the rubber lines, the diaphragm in the lift pump has to be suffering the same fate and having a Moose pump installed now it's back to straight Diesel for the big blue gay outlaw smurf truck.;Really

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now here's my next set of questions and this one is aimed at ya Mel.:D

Wha'ts the optimal fuel pressure range that the Moose pump is happy with?

Good question. Is there a minimal pressure that must/should be maintained? If your pressure falls below this point, what happens?????:dunno

Heath

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert