Instrument cluster

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you buy the circuit board thing(don't know what to call it) that bolts to the back of the cluster? I replaced my cluster with one that has a tach, all of the guages work great but only 3 bulbs work, and I replaced them with all new bulbs and cleaned all connections and still only 3 bulbs work, high beam, bottom left speedo bulb and the left turn signal. One of the other speedo bulbs will go on and off when I wiggle it but that's it.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't see a break, been looking at it with a magnifying glass for a half hour haha.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
One could just use some wire.
I've thought about it myself.

Wouldn't be hard, but would take some time.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost seems like it has to be one of the ground traces. I would try pulling all the bulbs and connection points and going at it with a multi meter and do some continuity testing. The only way they can really fail is if a trace gets broken or burned and like others have said you can resolder or solder a small jumper wire in if you find the break. Last I saw LMC still has them new, around $80 IIRC.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you just go to picapart and.buy another cluster to rob parts from? I dont know where you are but i was at picapart here yesterday and the place is loaded with our trucks.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Can you just go to picapart and.buy another cluster to rob parts from? I dont know where you are but i was at picapart here yesterday and the place is loaded with our trucks.

Lucky. Here they are stripped fairly quick. Entire interiors down to the seat bolts are gutted

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen one in a pick apart at all lately. But I was able to get most of them working, I filed all connections again and put some pretty deep scratches in the copper on the board where the bulbs touch, I guess 20 years of oxidation is pretty thick, it's wierd though because my old one looks brand new, it looks like the cluster was left out in the rain for a few years, but it's probably because the truck it came from rusted to the ground. The guy drove it until the frame broke in half, the cab had no floor or firewall, I imagine quite a bit of water got up there.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is tiny little copper tabs on the bulbs, try cleaning them and bend them down a little if you can wiggle them and make them light.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know a guy who builds PCBs at home. I used to work with him when we were contracted by NASA at the turn of the 0's. I could check with him and see if I could provide him with the schematics and see if he could print a board. I would give it a try myself, but it's been nearly 13 years.

But myself? I am not a believer in PCBs in tractors (our trucks). So I run everything manually in very tidy looms, and then solder/seal/stake.

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow around here most people wast the time to pull only the speedometer out of the cluster and throw the rest on the floor. I might have to start picking some up.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah yeah yeah, I honestly did work for a NASA contractor doing research on growing plants in microgravity environments. My main mission was the prototyping through launch and refurb of the Biomass Production System, I bet it can still be found at NASA.gov

The best part was being NASA certified at soldering and solder repairs

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet that NASA standards are similar to Navy standards as far as that stuff goes. There are some stringent solderability standards that we have to abide by when get certified. It is definitely fun to do component replacement and soldering.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it's the same. The only downside is having your work examined by someone who has never done anything but push papers and stick bigger sticks up his ass as he come across them. I mean QA.

A lot of times those little tracers on the boards can cause so many problems. Whiskers do the most crap even with a very low voltage.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
86 truck, right? Shouldn't be hard to find a good used board - pretty sure I have one but I have to figure out where.

I've tried repairing the traces on these and it's harder than it looks - the plastic tends to melt off and turn into a gooey mess, and then the actual copper traces are pretty fragile too, especially once the plastic is gone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online