Installing New Water Pump - Can I reuse coolant?

peterjeff

Reaction score
i need to replace my water pump, it's leaking all over the place. got one waiting for me at my local IH parts place ($80 - i called the local ford truck place and they wanted $130. go figure. $75 at autozone but i don't know i feel better putting in one i get from IH for the same money.)
anyway i just replaced my coolant a few months ago with the correct stuff w/sca's and all that and i don't want to have to buy more coolant if i don't need to. i figure i'll lose some when i pull the water pump but i'm wondering if i can drain the rad and reuse that?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
peterjeff said:
i need to replace my water pump, it's leaking all over the place. got one waiting for me at my local IH parts place ($80 - i called the local ford truck place and they wanted $130. go figure. $75 at autozone but i don't know i feel better putting in one i get from IH for the same money.)
anyway i just replaced my coolant a few months ago with the correct stuff w/sca's and all that and i don't want to have to buy more coolant if i don't need to. i figure i'll lose some when i pull the water pump but i'm wondering if i can drain the rad and reuse that?

Use it... done it before as Frank says use clean containers.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
argve said:
Use it... done it before as Frank says use clean containers.

Yup. It won't hurt anything. It's just a pain trying to catch it and recycle it. It's so much easier just to let it run down the driveway and then buy new. The neighbors dog would probably love the stuff, if only I could figure out a way to feed it to him. :Sly As for the coolant filter, Click Here Be glad you bought an OEM supplied water pump. I recently had the opportunity to directly compare Autozone's premium pump and one from Ford. The Autozone pump was reman'ed in China, did not have good machining and fit and finish of the impeller was terrible.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Agnem said:
Yup. It won't hurt anything. It's just a pain trying to catch it and recycle it. It's so much easier just to let it run down the driveway and then buy new.

That's what I typically do... hey wait a minute maybe that is why HOA was all over my butt over The E.. Hummm I really didn't think anyone really noticed the green river at the edge of the street... But did find out from my local water treatment plant to just dump it down the toliet here in the Fort. Said that no one really takes it and really your not supposed to do it but he said a little once in a while won't hurt. So I dumped 10 gallons that day...

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
you can also get the filter head and filter at your IH dealer also.
thats what i did and got fittings from the local hardware store.
i rigged mine up like gruss(i think it was gruss i coppied)on the front of the fuel filter bracket ;Sweet

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Agnem said:
Yup. It won't hurt anything. It's just a pain trying to catch it and recycle it. It's so much easier just to let it run down the driveway and then buy new. The neighbors dog would probably love the stuff, if only I could figure out a way to feed it to him. :Sly

You're obviously not a dog owner. Letting it run down the driveway is not acceptable. Just yesterday on the news was a story of a dog which died from eating some meat marinated in antifreeze. They are looking for the culprit.

girl mark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one of you, I believe that the other is joking.

Mark