Injection pump help

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello guys im getting ready to buy another idi truck its a 1993 f250 4x4 extra cab and the guy im buying it from had removed the injection pump and gear housing. He is giving me the pump and housing and gear with it but how do i time it to the cam? I would suppose there would be dots on the gears? But from what i seem the cam gear is down in the block. If u guy have any tricks to getting this timed that would be great. I also have this turbo i took off my other idi tonput on this truck is this a 085 kit or a 088 kit? Is there any up graded parts i can buy like a compressor wheel? This turbo does wake the truck up but not to impressed, it starts spooling really late in rpms and i had 10psi max with a maxed out stock ip.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before you even learn how to re-install the IP. Disconnect the IP from the gear, takes a 12 point 5/16' socket. THOROUGHLY clean off all the sealer (RTV) from the housing and block or it will leak oil.

Remove the #1 cyl. glow plug, mark the damper TDC mark with white paint, mark the timing tab "0" same way, roll the engine over with your finger on the GP hole, you should feel a pressure build up, that would be on the compression stroke, line up the marks on the damper and timing tab, from the "Y" mark on the gear, count up 17 teeth each way and draw a line on the gear across them, drop the gear in so the line is across and even with the block. You can still be off a tooth or two. With a mirror or a shiny piece of metal, stick it down along side of the gears and see if the "Y" marks are in line. You can roll the engine over with a pry bar and a 15/16" socket on the damper bolt. IIRC that's one way to do it. Someone else may have a different way, or correct me on this way.

gandalf

Reaction score
Oldbull has the method down pretty well. I've never needed to do things that way, thankfully, but it should work, certainly get you close enough to where you can tweak it further.

Long ago I copied a posting written by Ziggster40 which describes the same method. If you combine the two there is only one significant variation--the number of teeth you count. I'm sure you can figure that one out. I'll post it in below.

Copied post:

What you do is lift off the injection pump cover and then the gear. Find the "y" mark at the bottom which points to the tooth that is supposed to align with a dot on the cam gear below(the one you can't see when it's assembled. From that tooth, you count up the gear towards the top on both sides 19 teeth. Put a mark on the 19th tooth on each side, then scribe a line between the two. This line will now run across the front of the gear, and be just above the deck when the gear is lowered into position. You can easily tell if it is out one tooth or not as the line will not be level with the top of the block. You can then lower the cover onto the gear all the while watching the mark to see it doesn't move. Too easy!!

Should look kinda like this.....pic here..

Hope that helps someone, I haven't tried it myself yet, but you can bet I will soon.

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if i put a R&D wicked wheel on my 088 kit and bigger injection pump if it will spool better and make more boost

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 088 on my truck now, I have r and d 90cc pump and stage 1 injectors. Max boost is somewhere just over 15psi right my guage only goes to 15 id estimate about 17 or 18 psi. The pump and injectors definatly helped it spool better than my maxed out pump I had before this. I want to get the wicked wheel from him also

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Over 15 PSI boost eh. Let me know when you blow your head gaskets if the heads are not studded and I'll instruct you on how to replace the gaskets.:fan: :cry:

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No studs yet I try not to drive wot all the time so it's only seen over 15 a few times lol I know it's playing with fire right now till I get studs I want to get a intercooler soon also so boost will go down a couple psi and performance will be better

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buddy of mine has the 90cc pump from R&D and stage one injectors he has the banks sidewinder kit with a wicked wheel and he said it will build about 25psi of boost no studs lol

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my truck died today both tanks are full of fuel, was running then it died so i filled my filter primped the pump and it started but wouldnt pick up fuel one either tank? (Primed and got running again multiple times no go) the filter has air pressure so i know the lift pumps pumping. There is no fuel leaks, is there a screen or filter in the fuel tank on the sending unit? Thanks guys any help in appreciated

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All diesel tanks came with what has been called a "shower head" pickup. Its black and about 3 inches diameter. It will rest on the bottom of the tanks. I have not found a tank yet that this shower head is not broken off in many pieces. Many times the tank switching valve gets plugged up with the sucked up small pieces. then you can't get fuel to the lift pump and you suck air. You can try blowing back thru the suction line and see if that clears the possible blockage but know this. You will end up removing the tanks to clean out the crap. Best way to know you have broken off suction shower heads is run the tanks to the 1/4 level.If you run out of fuel there you know this is your problem. the suction can't draw the last 1/4 tank of fuel because its now that high off the bottom of said tank.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also wrapping your up pipe helps with the spool some. And making a new intake with larger filter if you still have the 088 style air box on it or just a k and n in it helps also

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online