Infant car seats in these dinosaurs..

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any good experience with the newer style car seats with bases in these old trucks? Our son is being born this week one way or another [wife gets induced tonight] and though our two newer daily drivers have the mounting points for the little side tethers obviously my old crew cab does not. Our seat we got is rear facing for now and can be converted to front facing after a certain weight/ time with a different "seat". I just didn't know if anyone has put one of these base style seats in the rear of a crew cab with just the normal seat belt, and if you did if it was the middle of the back seat or on a side?

Also though it's down the road I also have two single cabs. I'm likely not going to ever need to put him in one of those unless all 4 of our other vehicles with back seats go down at once but just curious if there's any tips or pointers there also.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I have a 4 month old, and I put her base in the rear of my crew cab, just make sure it's tight and level and you'll be fine. The directions for the car seat said the extra anchors are optional for vehicles that specifically have the mount points.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you use a shoulder belt on the sides or the lap belt in the middle?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive used the base type and I've just strapped the carrier in too, if the base was in another vehicle. I usually put them on the side for ease, but the middle is probably "safest". Congratulations, BrianX! We brought our first daughter home in a 79 Lincoln mark V, I was bringing her home in style (19.5ft bumper to bumper, 2 door). Sounds like you'll be styling your baby home too!

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Do you use a shoulder belt on the sides or the lap belt in the middle?
I used the center seat, so just the lap belt. The shoulder ones didn't have the ratcheting lockers for car seats like newer cars do, so it was the only feasible option to keep it secure.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are safer in the middle, even though it's more of a pain to get them in there.

beechkingd

Reaction score
The seat belt is way more secure then those latch anchors. If you need to use a shoulder belt the seats come with an H clip to keep tension on them, since they only lock in an accident. Read the install manual.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The car seat i got came with an anchor tab to install in vehicles that dont have them. Small, simple stamped steel bracket. Drilled a hole in the back of the crewcab and bolted it thru.

The other dumb thing is you likely cannot find a car seat anymore that is approved for a lap-only belt.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
The car seat I have is approved for lap belt only as well. Does have a note saying shoulder is preferred, but for a base mount it's OK.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The seat belt is way more secure then those latch anchors. If you need to use a shoulder belt the seats come with an H clip to keep tension on them, since they only lock in an accident. Read the install manual.
The H clip is all you need to make the shoulder belts work with car seats. We have done it with 3 kids in our IDI. The rear facing seats do not work in the back of supercabs though, and once you convert it to forward facing it only works in the rear for a while unless you can drive with the seat all the way forward.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new arrival.:angel:

Why is it when you poke fun at them, they take you serious?
Now you are at 20 yrs of hard labor...just saying.

I had an aunt that had 14 of the darn things, I know the Stork was getting tired of bringing them.....
I think a crow brought mine and raised by the old Vulture.
I use to borrow her posession once in a while, and had to get a car seat...think this was back in 83? Seats were new then and got it through AAA. Just ran the lap belt to hold it and off we went. Duct Tape probably would have worked just as well....LOL

Goat

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's awesome, way to go Mama! Liam sounds great. Ive got a bunch of kids myself, it would take 2 Crew cabs to haul all of mine around, the wife and I included.