Incredible vehicle 1983 f-250 6.9l IDI

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
No matter what she starts on a dime. -20f? Hasn't been started in 6 months? First compression stroke. Damn I love my IDI.

I don't take it out much these days, just sits in the yard under the pine tree...but I'll be damned if it's not the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned - we'll forget about a few years back when I first bought it and the Pollack failure :)

In any case here are some pics. I'm amazed at this vehicle every time I drive it - took it to the dump this weekend...

Going to get the exterior cab painted this year - give it a good wax and start storing it indoors.

I love my IDI!

Attachments

• IMG_20110124_080824.jpg
    IMG_20110124_080824.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20110124_080835.jpg
    IMG_20110124_080835.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20110124_080844.jpg
    IMG_20110124_080844.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 33

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta love these 'ol trucks. I have to say I really like that color scheme. My 1st truck..... the one I drove from 16 until age 30....... was an '83 F250 gasser with same red/white two tone paint.

Still have the truck, but it is in pittiful shape. All those winters in Toledo has given her terminal cancer.

Heath

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No matter what she starts on a dime. -20f? Hasn't been started in 6 months? First compression stroke.
Dayum, I wish mine did that - it gets started every few days, but at around 0F it takes her two glow cycles to light off, 15F and up she can manage on just one tho... Must be one helluva good-condition engine that you got there ;Sweet

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
The engine has good compression. 2 year old injectors, year old glow plugs, a 9.5 BTDC tuned IP, 13psi Walbro fuel pump, 1 year old starter and two Optima gel 1,000ca batteries that are 2 years old. Probably less than 1k in upgrades. If you're having cold start issues, these are the things to check, starting with a compression check.

I also put power service in the tanks - gelling is an issue when it's butt cold.

Anyway there you have it. I should also mention it's converted to run on vegetable oil, but I use it so rarely that both tanks are filled with stabilized #2 and the coolant is cut off to all the heat exchangers.

And the colors are Rangoon Red and Special White (Ford oem colors).

And to be fair the coldest it's been here this winter is -18f...

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Our idis along with many of the diesels of that era were sure well built machines. The Mercedes OE 616 and 617 motors, the B and L series Toyotas were among some of the others that would never leave you stranded. And if they did....there is usually a way to get them going again.;Sweet

Oh, and the Perkins 2.2 used in Rangers were another worth writing home about! I have a lot of experience with all of these engines and have very litte bad things to say. But when it comes to domestic diesels, our idi's take the cake without a doubt, in my books at least

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Our idis along with many of the diesels of that era were sure well built machines. The Mercedes OE 616 and 617 motors, the B and L series Toyotas were among some of the others that would never leave you stranded. And if they did....there is usually a way to get them going again.;Sweet

Oh, and the Perkins 2.2 used in Rangers were another worth writing home about! I have a lot of experience with all of these engines and have very litte bad things to say. But when it comes to domestic diesels, our idi's take the cake without a doubt, in my books at least

OM.

Gotta love Mercedes, dual fluid pumps in a automatic so you can still push start the damn thing!

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
It is good to hear someone else with good cold starting abilities.;Sweet I wish Southern New Jersey had colder temps to play in:D

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never do it unless I need it to start now, but I have tested my '94 at -25F. It started a little rough but fired right up. I normally plug it in, but it's good to know it will start when I need it.

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, both my IDI's are the '94 factory turbos and are d.d. including plowing and wood
delivery. Always responded to 'start' unless I neglected something.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
That's a great paint scheme. It's the same scheme as my 92 F350 crew cab, although the lower red strip is obscured by chrome trim on mine. I'm kind of surprised how much factory chrome is on my truck, since it's just a Custom, and even more surprised at just how damn well the chrome has held up. The red paint is fading now, I need to do something to stop it, as well as the little bit of rust in the rear, driver's side wheel well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online