I'm making a video...

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(posted on FTE also)

of Glow plug tests. with measurements, tip temp reading, durations and failure analysis for all these plugs we keep talking about.

Anyone want to donate a plug to get tested? PM me, I'm not doing anything wild, like pumping 36 volts into one or anything, Just 12v, take tip temp with an IR thermometer from start to finsh, stop watch to measure time to failure or up to 3 minutes, and measure amps and resistance cold and hot.

and I'm not stopping the recording so there is no doubt what I tested.

When I'm done, if I can't get it on youtube, I'll make DVD's and send it to whom ever wants it.

Also, I'll be taking physical dimensions from each and noting special features for reference. I have a digital caliper to measure it with, so I can measure before and after heating to see which ones swell.

I'll need these models to test: in the original packaging.

ACDelco

8G (reserved)
12G (reserved)
60G

Autolite:

1108 (this is the only autolite model for the 7.3L)
1109 (reserved)

Bosch:

80036? whatever the model is for 7.3L's (bullet connector.) on edit, RLDSL gave the part number for 7.3L 80033's ;Sweet

Motorcraft/beru

ZD1-A
ZD9

Wellman (WAP)

'88's (Reserved, I bought this one.)
'80's

If we all pitch in, I could get this video done over the holidays.

PM me if your interested in this project.;Really

Last edited:

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
It would be neat to have a legit experiment on all those different plugs for future reference.

I didn't know there were that many plugs for these trucks cookoo

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many of those are actually for 6.2/6.5L chebies, but they fit our trucks, and some are using them now. I know a couple members that are using the 80034's with a push button.

Want to help me out? Pick one of the autolites, buy it and send it to me to be tested in the video. I'll need help, 15 glow plugs @ $10 a piece adds up. I am getting Wellman 088's (dual coils) to test as well as whats on the list.

PM me if you'd be willing to contribute.

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE!!!

I now have 4 gp's spoken for.

autolite 1109
AC 12G
AC 8G
Wellman '88's

and i have at least two donations offered that will get at least 3 more gp's

thanks so far!! Let's keep going, almost half way there. 7 out of 16 plugs.

P.s. I edited the first post and put reserved on the ones I have commitments for.

Last edited:

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've made a test video, it's not that great. but a valiant FIRST try. I had never put a video on YouTube, so salt your criticism a little. My Son was the camera man, and got confused with the controls a little. It'll all be worked out by the time the full video is made

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7Azfql5AEU

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online