IH Air Compressor

trapper

Boom Boom
Reaction score
I got a hold of a International harvester air compressor today it looks to be a 2 cylinder unit it was on a old ih bus with air brakes it turns freely and is made to be bolted to the engine with a v belt pulley the tag on it says international harvester air brakes.............how much do yall think this thing is worth?:dunno im fixing to clean it up and repaint it red which what was the original paint color

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i just scraped 2 of them. one was still on the truck. 1975 IH triaxle dump truck. had a 3208 NA cat motor. thougt it was funny cause the motor was painted IH red with IH decals next to the cat ones.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
i just scraped 2 of them. one was still on the truck. 1975 IH triaxle dump truck. had a 3208 NA cat motor. thougt it was funny cause the motor was painted IH red with IH decals next to the cat ones.

haha funny how the tables turn! i heard CAT is buying IH diesels and painting them yellow.... LOL

-Jon

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
unless you're planning on runing air brakes, its so much easier to put in one of the new high output constant duty electric air compressors for onboard air suspension and air tools. I've got a real stout one and a large air tank off a semi trailer and it handles an impact for tire changes no prmblem and works great for my air suspension with automatic leveler that is always dumpng and adding air going down the road
The electric jobs you can mount anywhere, no engine drag, and no worry about rigging up a belt takoff

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem with those is that they run all of the time. If you have air brakes, that's what you want, if you are just using it for air sometimes, not so much.
Travis..

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah ha, from what I see it's liquid cooled too. you need to hook into the cooling system for that unit.

How much? Shipping to 98844 would be good to know too. Where was it positioned on the 6.9? Drivers?