Ignition switch problem

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first issue is that when the key is turned on to crank the engine it doesn't spring back. I took apart the steering wheel looking for the broken actuator and found no issues other than some areas that needed grease. The spring behind the actuator doesn't spring back well, but it does spring back. The actuator gear had worn teeth which I ground the burrs off of to prevent binding. Where the hell do you buy a random spring?

The other related issue is that when turning the key it doesn't catch at the starting positions it just spins all the way forward and then I have to push it to the run position to crank. When I had all this apart I think the tumbler spins freely between lock and run without catching so are the "key on" positions in the ignition switch down on the column or are they supposed to be in the tumbler? To put it more simply: Does the tumbler have the key position stops built into it or are they in the switch?

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great! Thanks. Will do. Still got the wheel puller on rental.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the ignition box is located on the column under the dash
2- 8mm bolts???

You must be registered for see images attach

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't need it to remove the ignition switch box.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Right. Yeah, I wasn't sure if I needed to access the push rod (technical term) that runs into it by getting into the steering wheel again. I already had the bolts out and the column dropped down but I ran out of time with it. Got the switch yesterday just didn't get to it today. Cell phone got lost then stolen so it crimped my style a bit. It's cool. I had $100 bucks layin' around takin' up space that I needed to **** away. Switch will be done today. Maybe it's a blessing I will be cell phone free so no distractions. Rear fuel tank, ignition switch, glow plug harness build, etc, etc, etc, Money tree come back!

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the ignition box is located on the column under the dash
2- 8mm bolts???

You must be registered for see images attach

That would be the one. The PO or the PO before him thought it would be cool to start the truck with pliers repeatedly by jamming that rod down and in the process scratching the hell outta the column and dash. F'in kids. I thought I was a dumb kid. These people do **** to these trucks that would've had me scratchin' my head at 17.... Well maybe not. Maybe I woulda been sayin' "huh, huh, huh... that's cool, man." With bloodshot eyes... Hard to say.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Naw, when I was about 17. A buddies girlfriend had a little old ranger. She went to leave and the switch busted apart. The tabs that hold it together broke. I put all the contacts back in, zipped tied it together, put it in and blam. Good to go.
Everyone was blown away. Dude offered me a xx from his girlfriend if she was up for it. (And she probably would have if I asked) crazy stuff.
I would have to say, that was the weirdest "offer" I've ever had for fixing something.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have to say, that was the weirdest "offer" I've ever had for fixing something.
There was a copy of a CL listing floating around not that long ago where some chick wanted to buy a turbocharger for her boyfriend but didn't have enough cash, so she offered herself for a few rounds to make up the difference. She was promising she's good looking and all. I wonder how the seller could have been certain that it would happen for more than one round, and on the other hand how she can be certain she will receive the turbo after all is said and done? Some people these days...

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, times are tight. People do crazy things to get by

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Lol yeah its kinda to be expected on Craigslist.
Seems like she cared about him since she wanted to get him a turbo. I mean must be a keeper right? Rotflmao :cookoo:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have an old turbo off of a 301 pontiac if someone wants to use it :))

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, times are tight. People do crazy things to get by
Yeah, want vs. need tho, this one was some go-fast setup so definitely not a need-type item. But you know, "love sucks" :sly

Seems like she cared about him since she wanted to get him a turbo. I mean must be a keeper right? Rotflmao :cookoo:
Hmm, seems to me she could have handled it a bit more professionally - for example with mine it's not "if you do this I'll do that for you", but rather "if you DON'T do this I'll do that TO you"... Yeah she's quite good at getting what she wants alright :D

i have an old turbo off of a 301 pontiac if someone wants to use it :))
But only if they have a cute girlfriend, right? LOL

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. Not that it matters anymore because this thread has gone into much more interesting territory than a bum ignition switch, but I put the new one in and PRESTO! No more free-wheelin' tumbler. Unfortunately I probably could've saved the part $ because it seemed like the PO was yanking that thing so hard he pulled it out of the little slot it fits in. That rod (that runs on top of the column) has a 90 on the end that turns vertical into a little plastic slot and then that rod pushes a plastic, springloaded slider inside the switch. I didn't get how the whole thing went together til I installed it with the 90 in the wrong place the first time. Oh well. Done. Thanks guys.