IDM or PCm? I dunno

mgola

mgola
Reaction score
hello everyone,
Im working on a truck(99PSD) for a local firedepartment and i think im caught between a rock and well a truck lol. the truck dies intermitantly while driving. doesnt matter what speed, condition or terrain. i pulled the codes and they are all leading to the idm or pcm, which the pcm controls the idm. Also at full load/ WOT the truck bloooooooows black like its got a big programmer on it. i pulled the codes and got these numerous ones. ill leave out the unimportant ones.

P0230- fuel pump relay driver
P0284- faulty cyl 8 injector(possibly)
P0380- Glow plug indication circut malfunction
P1211- ICP presure above/below limits
p1282- Excessive ICP presure
P1662-IDM-en circuit fault

plus the p1690 and a few others i think( hand got tired of writing lmao)
im leaning toward the pcm but wonder if anyone else has had something similar happen to them. Appreciate yalls help!

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score
hello everyone,
Im working on a truck(99PSD) for a local firedepartment and i think im caught between a rock and well a truck lol. the truck dies intermitantly while driving. doesnt matter what speed, condition or terrain. i pulled the codes and they are all leading to the idm or pcm, which the pcm controls the idm. Also at full load/ WOT the truck bloooooooows black like its got a big programmer on it. i pulled the codes and got these numerous ones. ill leave out the unimportant ones.

P0230- fuel pump relay driver
P0284- faulty cyl 8 injector(possibly)
P0380- Glow plug indication circut malfunction
P1211- ICP presure above/below limits
p1282- Excessive ICP presure
P1662-IDM-en circuit fault

plus the p1690 and a few others i think( hand got tired of writing lmao)
im leaning toward the pcm but wonder if anyone else has had something similar happen to them. Appreciate yalls help!

first thing you do, is clear them all
KOEO, KOER, Continious Memory.
then take it out and drive it like you stole it.
then start by pulling codes that come back.

a '99 dieing while being driven would most probably be a cam position sensor, which unless you've been hiding under a rock for the last two years, are under recall from Ford.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd give the CPS the nod for the intermittent dying and as far as black smoke..... hows the air filter?

mgola

mgola
Reaction score
I thought about that when the truck came to me, just havent checked it yet cause there is hasnt been a code for it.(doesnt mean anything) ill do a runout test on the cps and check the pinout too. as for the filters they were service 200 miles or so ago. its a fire dept vehicle so it always gets driven hard. so i took my turn at goin code 3(haulin ass) yesterday. i reset all the codes i could and these are the ones that came back up. there was about ten or twelve the first time i pulled them. the smoke could possibly be from the P0284 cylinder 8 contribution, possibly a injector or harness a buzz check sounded good though and it only smokes between half throttle and full load wot. cool for me:thumbsup: bad for fire dept. put out smoke not make it lmao

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance