I think I have done all I can do!!

travelinman31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tomorrow morning starts vacation for me, we are pulling our 30' fifth wheel with truck in my sig to Mena Arkansas. Also taking 10 four wheelers, 3 dogs, and 7 excited kids, not all in my truck :D. I have been more stressed about this vacation than any other, and have spent countless hours wrenching, researching, and flat worrying. We basically rebuilt a 2000 Honda Rancher (still can't get the carb set right), updated all the other wheelers with new this and thats.

Now to the truck with a list of whats been done and what I observed on a short trip to town unloaded for fuel and a quick wash:

1. New BB Code Delphi injectors- Black smoke gone, seems to run better at highway speeds, but idle is a little rough not sure why, maybe timing. Hope it won't hurt for this trip as I'm out of time.

2. New CDR valve- No significant change as far as I can tell

3. New Air Filter- I can hear it sucking a little more air than with old filter

4. New Autometer Oil Pressur Gauge- Idles around 40 on high idle, 25 on regular idle, and running down the highway at 50-60 just a touch under 50

5. New Autometer Water Temp Gauge- Warms up to about 190 and stays there, may change while pulling the trailer

6. New Auber Insturments Pyro- Highest I saw was accelerating up a small hill 700 degrees, I know this will change pulling the trailer

7. New Return Lines- No more diesel smell at idle and no diesel smell in cab

8. New Magnum Gas Rear Shocks- Rides better, I have new for front, but ran out of time and energy

9. New Pads on Front Brakes and Bled Brake System- Much firmer pedal and a ton more stopping power

10. Charged A/C system- My wife's favorite thing I did too it!!

11. Oil change and fluid checks on everything else

A ton of work in a short amount of time |sleepy, but it gives me a bit more peace of mind. I'll have my wife and 7 year old with me and would hate to think of the reprecussions if we are on the side of the road for any amount of time. We are traveling with others so they will have a cool place to wait if I have to do anything to it on the way.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Just let your IDI do it at the speed it wants to, and you'll be back at home afterwords still loving it.

smokinpipes

Navistar Nut
Reaction score
Agreed. I run 8+ hour trips pulling my steel gooseneck horse trailer to Iowa and back many time throughout the year.. we usually go about 60ish.. we get there and we get back with no sweat.
Remember, the slower you go, the happier your truck will be, the less burnt from the trip you'll be, and that much safer from less likely that some butt head will cut you off with more speed to try to stop. Also, gives a nice view for the scenery aspect too :)

Have fun on your vacation too!!

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, you did a lot to your truck in a short time! Have a great vacation, looking forward to our groups next trip to Wolf Pen. Have you ever been to Little Sahara SP in Oklahoma?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Make sure some spare belts and parts are under or behind the seat. When I had the V belt system I would keep a used set behind the rear seat for those just incase times. Saved me from a complete roadside stoppage several times. Now with the serpentine belt system I have 6 years on the same belt and tensioner without any issues.... But I do look it over everytime the hood is open. And thats about everytime the rig starts up... I call it being careful but others call it ****....

travelinman31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. Was hoping to pull out about 10 this morning, but we are waiting out some thunderstorms in the area. 10-4 on the belts, i have a complete set from last change. Also have a fuel pump (hope it isnt neede). I went out to crank truck this morning, and no glow plug cycle!! I pulled purple wire off relay and put 12v to its terminal, nothing. Pulled the breather and just messed with the part back there (tapped it lightly). Heard it click wife said light came on and went off. Told her to crank which it did fine. She got out shut door and wouldnt u know, yep she had bumped the door locks. Got in with trailer awning rod. Just waiting to leave now, prolly around 12:30.

I havent been to Little sahara, this is our first big wheeling trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online