I need gears asap...

McGIDI

Reaction score
i have a 1985 6.9 t19 and i need lower rpms at higher speeds cause at 60 it sounds like my truck is screaming and i need to drive across the country in this truck soon and i need to try and save diesel... i have 265/70r17 sized tires and just really need help on finding a good gear... 3:55's ???

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Are you planning on towing? What rear axle?

3.55's will definitely help vs 4.10's. Might even look into 3.08's but those are aftermarket.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope I'm not hijacking the thread lol. But where would you find a 3.08 ring and pinion gear kit online? Just curious here

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
the hard part would be finding gears for the front if its 4x4....dont think they made 3.08 gears for the D50/D60

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am thinking 3.08 gears would be great for my truck at highway speeds. However, I am afraid of installing that ratio and it not being able to tow/haul anything.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
i have a 1985 6.9 t19 and i need lower rpms at higher speeds cause at 60 it sounds like my truck is screaming and i need to drive across the country in this truck soon and i need to try and save diesel... i have 265/70r17 sized tires and just really need help on finding a good gear... 3:55's ???

I have a set of 3.55 gears that I was going to swap into my dually, but found a good deal on a whole axle instead. If you're interested, let me know.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

First

I would suggest the OP check the ratio before going and throwing any $$$ or time searching stuff out. IIRC that model would be a D60/70 rearend not 10.25" and also either 3.55 or 3.73 ratio....

...pull your diff cover and check what you have! Oh if DIFF cover HAS a fill hole it's a DANA if not it's a Ford rearend!

Knowledge is empowering and not knowing sucks

Second once you know what you got...you can better make wise informed choices...

JM2CW

McGIDI

Reaction score
its got a square fill plug and i dont tow really anything at all so just need to slap gears in it asap that will allow me to go 70 mpg and not scream down the high way...

McGIDI

Reaction score
ok so update...i found a number on the axle housing... it says 353b so i am guessing that it already has 3:53's in it...i hope not cause if so i need 3"08's

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its got a square fill plug and i dont tow really anything at all so just need to slap gears in it asap that will allow me to go 70 mpg and not scream down the high way...
Yup you gots a Dana, now to determine what model look on the housing and you should see a big CAST in 60 or 70 that would tell you what one it is, if the bottom is smooth as glass...nothing to hang up on thats a D70U and requires special consideration.

If you can get 70MPG in yer truck I'll be freakin amazed....

I do think you want 70 MPH not MPG thus why? Why not just drive a little slower???? does 10 miles in one hour make a huge difference?

ok so update...i found a number on the axle housing... it says 353b so i am guessing that it already has 3:53's in it...i hope not cause if so i need 3"08's

If there is a # to indicate axle ratio it would be on a tag attached to one of the bolts on the diff cover.

It is easier to lift one wheel and support that side on an axle stand, remove diff cover and catch fluid and count teeth or read the stamped in information on the ring gear already. Tags can be lost, gears can be changed and the ONLY way to know for certain is to check directly not taking build tags and #'s as golden.

JM2CW

Al

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score

A square fill plug doesnt mean you have a dana axle. If its on the diff cover itself, though, that indicates Dana, unless someone did a mod. My 85 came with a 10.25.

Best way to find out your gears is jack up one wheel, mark tire and driveshaft with chalk, rotate and count. You never know, someone could have swapped them in the past, the wrong ones could have even been put in at the factory. It would stink to buy a gear set and buy tools only to find you've already got what you're trying to swap to.