I broke my turbo, what now?

ghettoscrap

Reaction score
I picked up a Banks Sidewinder setup off a junkyard truck recently and was checking it out when I discovered the wastegate was VERY hard to operate so I was soaking it with PB Blaster over a couple of weeks and working it back and forth every day to try and loosen it up, well I finally got bored with the lack of progress so I heated the housing with some low torch heat in an effort to gain some clearance but it must have weakened the shaft as it snapped off right at the weld holding the lever in place, AAAARRGH!-cuss

Anyway, I need to know what my options are for getting a new housing. Banks will only sell a complete unit, not happening on my budget, besides, I refuse to have more in one component on this truck than I have in the WHOLE truck. It is a Mitsubishi TEO6 unit and I guess I need to know if you guys know someone who sells the housings for these units or is the turbine housing going to be a proprietary part like the compressor housing?

If I pin the waste gate open, will the turbo act like a non wastegated unit or is it not designed or configured to do so?

I am new to turbos so I am in the dark about the subject and any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I understand what your saying correctly you should be able to just plug the wastegate and be on your way. Just watch your boost gauge.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just put a spotweld on the end that snapped and run an external wastegate. just make sure the wastegate flapper is in the full closed position before spotwelding it shut.