I am installing a Horton Fan Clutch on my OBS. Here we go…

Reaction score
Someone suggested I check out Horton for my cooling needs. I did and I found out one of my friends could hook me up with a good deal on a brand new one. This one is made for the T444e’s and the DT466 engine family. Getting it on my truck and working “should” not be that that much of an issue. The unit is completely self contained. I do not have to splice into my factory harness at all. So, now comes the questions. My stock heavy metal fan fits it perfectly. But I prefer to use a later model plastic fan blade. I know the 99 and up came with plastic fans. But from what I have learned so far the fans that came on the six liters and up were massive. They are without a doubt much larger than the stock fan on my OBS. One thing I need to know about them though. Are they reversible? Can I remove the fan blade and flip it on the fan clutch? Also, when I replaced my fan clutch some time back I found out that the fans on some of 7.3‘s spin in different directions. Which years spin which ways? I will be rerouting my belt any way because I plan to do away with my mechanical vacuum pump and I also plan to replace my water pump. So I would think getting my fan to spin the direction required by the new fan clutch should be simple.

You must be registered for see images attach

jocephus

Reaction score
watch out

be carefull horton is expensive and no tech support i work at a school and ive had to replace a few due to wires being broken at the clutch with no way to rebuild or repair last one i bought was $725.00 for a cat c7.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Just be sure the wires are secured so they dont move in the wind. I have one on a DT466 in the fleet and very happy with it. There are at least two people on TDS with them. MADVAN is one, the other is recent but I can't recall it at the moment. You do need to tap into AC high side to turn on fan when AC pressure is high. Don't fuss with it just get the one for T444E. The threads are backwards on the DT466 one due to the reveres rotation.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
As far as the plastic fan goes, look into the 99-03 7.3, and also go to the Horton web site they have MANY plastic fans on the site, you can also check out the specs and application info on the T444E.

Reaction score
The AC switch I still have to buy. but consdiering what I paid for the fan clutch that is not a big deal at all.

That is the kind of fan I am trying to track down. I did not think of Horton having them as well, thanks.