Hydroboost, Serpentine and 3G alternator

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up a 3G alternator at the pick n pull today. Actually I picked up two since when I dropped a wire cover under a car and looked under it, someone had pulled another 3G and threw it under there. I think that was an omen. I also pulled the plug and main charge wire off of a full size that runs the 3 bolt 3G housing. The charge wire looks like it will be the perfect length AND it comes with a pair of fusible links so I don't have to mess around with a buying and installing a maxi fuse and two custom cables to go from the alternator to the battery! With that wire, I think someone as lazy as me can pull this off.

I also pulled a hydroboost, master cylinder, PS pump and hoses off of a F-Superduty. Is there anything else I need for this conversion? Do I need to go back and get the brake pedal?

The Superduty engine is a gas 460. Am I correct in assuming that all the brackets from it won't do me any good for converting to a serpentine setup? What vehicle and engine combination will provide the proper brackets? While we are at it, what one will also provide the correct power steering pump for hydroboost? I am going to get stuck with another power steering pump since there is no way to pull the pump off the bracket at the yard.

Thank you for any help

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Serp brackets....you'll need a late 92 early 93 up IDI for those brackets, you'll need harmonic balancer pulley and water pump pulley too.

Ya you should get the pedal for the brake booster to function correctly

All you need to mount the hydro boost with V belt is change the plastic tank/resevior over from the SD truck to the one in your current truck. Take the large NUT out of pump...be carefull there is a spring and it pushes out a valve, then carefully twist/pull that tank off. Your golden do same and install the two line tank in place of your one return line tank! That's IT!

Good score on all the gear btw!

Al

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online