How's yer guys' reliability

therifleman556

Reaction score
I really really really want a cummins powered truck. The legendary reliability and fuel economy of that straight six turbo diesel is just too tempting to pass. However, theres really no way I could afford the plug'n play power of a common rail, so I'm looking at older trucks. I just drove a 12 valver and thougt it was great! Certainly fits my simplicity goal! The problem is that around Wisconsin clean, low mileage 2nd gen Dodges are very hard to come by. 24v trucks on the other hand are a little more common around here. My concern centers around the fact that I hate computers and sensors; so I'm left asking you 24v owners, how reliable are they? My friend has a 99 that has had some issues with the 4wd and later on with a no-start situation (backed out crank position sensor as it turns out). Computers make me hesitant; could a 24 valve truck and me get along?

444diesel

Reaction score
It does not matter what truck you get, you will have problems. The 24v cummins is a great motor. Make sure that your vp-44 pump is good and put an Air-dog fuel system on it.(or whatever you like) I have seen a few with 400,000 miles and still going great. Mine (2001 cummins)has 180,000 miles and still starts and runs perfect.

therifleman556

Reaction score
I do realize that all vehicles will have problems. The objective is to get the one that is the least likely to fail and which will not bankrupt me to repair, which is why my initial lean is towards the 12 valve cummins. I'd absolutely give consideration to an '83-'94 Ford with the IDI but there we go again with no real clean specimens available in Wisconsin. At least with the Dodge I could get a vehicle as new as 98 which makes finding a rust free truck more probable in my neck of the woods.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
I bought a '00 Cummins 3500 4x4 in 2003 with 140k on it. It was a 5-speed with 3.55 gears in it. The truck was used as an oil filed hot shot truck with a small "chip" on it and no gauges. I ran the truck for 6 months and put 30k miles on it in that span of time. I did have to replace the injection pump (likely because it was not maintained and on it's last leg when I bought the truck.) I also had to replace the clutch and a drive shaft carrier bearing.

But all in all, I was very happy with the truck and would own another 24v given the opportunity. Mine gave me 18-20 mpg and could tow anything I put behind it including a Kubota M6000 tractor with front end loader and bush hog. If you address the weak spots then you will be fine. Make sure the VP44 has enough fuel flow, check the ball joints often, etc.

Now, if you want the ultimate in reliability and simplicity, get a 1st Gen Cummins.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the 2nd gen 12v trucks because of their simplicity. The VP44 has problems a buddy just sold his after he replaced the VP44 for a second time, at the time of the first failure we had already installed a high volume fuel delivery system but it had 180k on that pump with the stock fuel system but the second time around that pump had only seen it's fuel delivered from an upgraded fuel delivery system (Air Dog pump and filter system). I'm a little gun shy of those now. I wouldn't recommend an automatic transmission behind any cummins and especially if you bump up the power at all. I remember when I was looking for my cummins I found out that the auto transmissions were rated for 5hp less than the motor produced in stock trim - if that didn't say planned failure I don't know does.... Which my buddy had to replace his auto trans but after having a local shop build him one he didn't have problems but still I could feel the power loss that the auto brought to table vs what my manual tranny would deliver. That's the only first hand experience I have with 24v trucks so his may have been a lemon or something but still I will shy away from them.

I loved my P-pumped cummins with the manual. Yes I had some trouble with the nv4500 but it was actually a cheap repair (replaced the mainshaft of the tranny with an upgraded one - 5th gear backs off).

You might do like what I did which was find a southern rust free truck and either fly down and pick it up and drive back or drive down in a car and rent a trailer and haul the car back with ya - that's what I did and all totalled with travel costs I only had a grand in getting her home that included renting the uhaul car hauler one way, food, lodging and fuel. Was well worth it to me because I brought back a truck that hadn't seen ice or snow and it showed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online