howdy and help

bj_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont beat a dead horse. that comp is bad, the time you spend doing more tests you could dig into it and know really whats happening

Longwolf

Reaction score
Well, you can always pull a head. You should be able to see if the headgasket caused the issue or not.
Something caused the coolant over pressure. A head gasket, cavitation or a slipped sleeve.
The gaskets seem the most likely.
But if the rings are shot, I'm probably going to write this motor off.
Why do the rings when I could find that she's also got a cracked block or cavitation?
Gaskets would be cheaper and faster. Once they were in, I could test for cavitation. If I found it, I wouldn't have lost as much.

bj_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your compression test (if accurate) told you the rings or cyl is bad. also pulling engine/heads your going to be able to check for scoring or other visible damage, gasket failures etc.

Longwolf

Reaction score
I'm not going to pull the motor apart just for the sake of curiosity. I have to have a shot at an affordable fix.

If I had to tear this one down far enough to do the rings, I'd want to go ahead and do a complete rebuilt.

Considering the price of the kit and the time it'd take me, I'd be better off with a professional rebuild and a warranty

Longwolf

Reaction score
Just thought of a weak link in my plan. If I were to try putting a little oil in the cylinders, it'd probably just get trapped on the cups :/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin