how too get my truck started after running out of fuel

78fordf150

Reaction score
Okay i ran my truck out of diesel last night and today am trying too get it started whats the easyest way of getting it going again

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Step 1. Make sure that there is now plenty of fuel in the tank.

Step 2. Have someone crank the engine over with the ignition key , not just by the solenoid, while you hold the schrader valve on the fuel filter head. Crank until fuel runs out of the valve, but for no more than 20 seconds at a time with a break of 30-2 minutes in between.

Step 3. Crack 2-3 injectors lines and crank engine, again with key until fuel squirts out around injector, it helps to hold the throttle to the floor for this. Then tighten these injectors and move along to another 2 or 3, the truck should start before you get them all bled. Always tighten injectors after you see fuel coming out.

Step 4. It may be necessary to hold the throttle down to around 2,000 rpms for a few seconds to clear residual air from the system, onces the truck is started to get the engine to smooth out.

Step 5. FINISHED

By the way, there are many different opinions on how to do this, but this way will work great and get you running again pretty quickly. A much faster way is to install an electric fuel pump.

Last edited:

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
i have ran mine out on one tank and swith tanks over and crank for about 2 20 second intervals and it will fire back up again:dunno

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
Best would be to pull your filter off and fill it if you can. Then do as mentioned above. I've heard that as you crank, holding the throttle partly open rather than wide open pushes more fuel though the IP to the injectors. With wide open too much fuel bypasses and hits the returns.

zpd307

Reaction score
i also just switch tanks and then hold to the floor while cranking. a couple of cranking sessions it will fire again.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
you could take the fuel filter off and fill it up then just crank it with the foot to the floor, you shouldnt have to crack any injector lines iv never had to. It is faster if you have someone help you and hold open the valve on the filter head.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i menationed this in another thread but if you can get a spare gas cap and tap and compressor hose fitting into it you can apply some low pressure to the fuel tank and help push the fuel forward. . . 60% of the time, it works every time!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online