How to break a cummins

BMF

Reaction score
These are a few things I've seen at the dealership my wife works at.
1. A wrecker brings a 2002 1 ton in with 30k on it (looks like it has 200K).
I ask the mechanic what the problem was and he says the engine is blown and shows me how the turbo is all stopped up with what looks like dirt and paper. I say damn what's that and he walks to the bed of the truck and brings back an airfilter that got so dirty the guy had to poke holes in it with a screw driver to make it back home. If that wasn't bad enough this was the second time this bozo did the same thing. By the looks of the truck I'd guess he was a logger.
2. A 6 month old 1 ton with a lift and 37's on it comes in on the hook. The turbo on this truck had gotten so hot it was purple! Owner put a 8" lift with 37's and an ez turned up to level 6 on and tried to haul a trailer loaded with round bales. I don't guess he knew what a pyro was.
3. '04 dodge dually regular cab comes in from the log woods so ragged out the muffler is dragging the ground. This one needed a clutch and minor engine work but the truck looked like it was 10 years old. The mechanic says the guy is a logger and has about 6 trucks all in this kind of shape.
I could go on and on about the stupid things I see up there. I know some of these folks work with thier truck but come on, change the air filter. Air filter $13 New cummins $10k plus. cookoo

Grey Wolf

Reaction score
I saw the same thing when a friend of mine used to work at a dealership. They don't have a clue and they're the first to complain about the truck (or car) not holding up cookoo

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you ask me, it's silly to buy a $35,000 truck and send it into the woods.

These folks should get an older truck that already has bad sheetmetal and not blow their money.

$10,000 for a new engine will buy 2 used trucks that'll likely last just as long as an abused new one.

94matt

Reaction score
Mikes91 said:
If you ask me, it's silly to buy a $35,000 truck and send it into the woods.

These folks should get an older truck that already has bad sheetmetal and not blow their money.

QUOTE]

Don't forget that in 2004, a company could purchase a heavy duty vehicle as a tax write off of up to 50,000. I'd rather trash a new one, than an old one anyday. My father in law is a rancher, and he says that new trucks are fun, because everything works, for a while anyways.

Matt