Hot hot should my e4od run?

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my ambulance for a test drive with the new US Shift controller. I drove a few miles on flat ground, ambient temp around 50F, running empty so vehicle weight probably around 11,000 pounds, cruising about 50mph. The controller told me the torque converter was locked up must of the time I was in 4th gear.

The temperature climbed steadily to 155F by the time I finished my loop. Is that normal? Or too much for the conditions? This is the first time I've had a temp gauge, so I have no idea what I should see.

BTW, the shift controller works fine, I like the way it shifts.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
155f seems about normal
What size cooler are you running? Its common to upgrade them, one from a 6.0 ford is a good upgrade. I put one on my in laws truck, the transmission builder wouldn't honor the warranty unless a bigger cooler was put on.

The 6.0 one is easily more than double in size as the stock e4od one.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure yet what's plumbed in there. I'll need to put it back in the shop and trace those lines.

After I posted this, I found several threads with folks talking about running 100F above ambient. 155F is right in that ballpark.

I don't think it has a bypass - that's going to be a pipe down the side between the two lines, right? It sounds as if the bypass is a wise safety measure, and the new part isn't very spendy.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Bypass the radiator loop and doing just a cooler loop is common in hotter climates.

MadMac

Reaction score
The temperature climbed steadily to 155F by the time I finished my loop. Is that normal? Or too much for the conditions? This is the first time I've had a temp gauge, so I have no idea what I should see.
The research (this forum…) done when I replaced my E4OD, was that above 160, the fluid and components start to degrade. Its not that its wrong per se, its just taking life out of the trans…

At 100K Mine 97 lost a seal after a 250 mile tow run when using reverse to back the trailer down the drive, depositing most of the ATF in the driveway before expiring… Filled it and drove it to the trans shop the next week…

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The C6 in the RV ran 180-210 in the pan, with a deep aluminum pan and a big cooler.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is it a new trans? Why did you go with the US Shift controller?

I’m of the old adage that 170F or below, otherwise the fluid degrades exponentially with temp. Like you I have also read about the 100F over ambient.

I have also read and watched about these new fluids being so good that 200F is just fine.....

Then look at @Cubey ’s pan temps on his C6.

I like @Nero ’s suggestion of the 6.0 cooler upgrade.

With your weight and frontal area, I’d keep the radiator inline cooler before the external. Go with the 100F over ambient and change it at the first sign of burnt smelling or color changing.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least half the year I'll be more concerned with getting it warm than cooling it. I think I'll want that loop through the radiator when it's -40.

It's an older transmission, no signs of damage, but the OFF light would flash intermittently, and then it would shift very hard. I figured the new controller would replace most of the wires that were probably causing the problems, and would make troubleshooting far easier. So far the new controller isn't showing me any hint of troubles in the slushbox.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After speaking with people much more knowledgeable than me on here.

The fluid/fluid cooler does aid in warming, but it’s primary purpose is it’s ability to transfer heat much more efficiently than an air/water cooler. AND it works in low speed situations.

The folks here taught me that an unlocked converter will heat the fluid much quicker than the radiator ever could.

So once you get it started at -40 and find steady state, happily drive away as the unlocked converter will heat it. Course in wussy CO, I don’t have to deal with those temps.

Please correct anything I misspoke on!

Glad to hear about US Shift controller

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to Hayden coolers website 180 is a good operating temperature, cooler thick fluid doesn't lubricate or flow as well, most oil thermostats work in that range also, going to put there 696 cooler in my 72 Olds 88 (TH400)

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... an unlocked converter will heat the fluid much quicker than the radiator ever could.
That reminds me, I still have a few wires to hook up on that shift controller, including the OFF light and the OD control switch. The new controller is pretty aggressive about locking the TC. That's good, this time of year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tj@GotExhaust

Members online