Hi there from Australia

fraree

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
Found your site recently, nice to see it's not so "brand specific" as other sites can be.
Being a nearly ready to retire, agricultural earthmoving contractor in the cotton farm irrigation industry, I've burned my share of oil since 1979. Had several oil burning vehicles over the years, would be silly not to, as we had it on tap in the industry.
Vehicles we've run, mainly 4x4 Nissan Patrols (you might call them safari's or titans) 6 cylinder non and turbo, then later intercooled turbos, finally they made some power. Only recently, put a 2001 F250 2wd ex ambulance on the road as a tow vehicle for our caravan (trailer) which the wife and I hope to do the "grey nomad deal", pack and track, hit the road. The truck with the 7.3 and with the central locking (pdl) enclosed rear looked to be the "bees knees" (good thing) for our travels, with some upgrades. Towing a 3 tonne (7,000lb ?) trailer with soft "Cadillac" style suspension,would be a No No, so removing the airbag reliant parabolic rear leaves and replacing them with a 2" lift block plus standard F250 leaves and reinstating the airbags plus a 2" lift blocks under the front coils has made the whole unit sit up and ride high, albeit rough when empty but it did the job today on it's first mission to retrieve the caravan from the last job site 105 k's (63 miles) away.
Will probably need a chip type tuner to sort out the auto trans before we get to serious about towing though.
Seeing we're on the opposite side of the world to you people in the USA in winter, if you were feeling cold today, it was 38c (100F) here today. Definitely beer time. :eek:

Cheers, Russ

nic55kel

Nic55kel
Reaction score
Welcome aboard cobber.

Your steering wheel definitely looks wrong.
Nice looking truck that should serve you well.
Its Christmas over here in Canada (joke).
My daughter is coming to visit and it is an actual -40 FC (Fahrenheit or Celsius).
All the best in your travels

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
^ why is the wheel wrong?

Welcome.
Looks like a good truck.

For tunes, look at power hungry performance, beans diesel, tony wildman performance, innovative diesel..
Just to name a few.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

fraree

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Quandary

Thanks, I thought, throwing the Aussie dashboard photo in would put a few into a spin LOL Try getting into the front seat of a car, jet lagged, after a 14 hour flight, being driven through Vancouver on the "wrong" side of the road with no steering wheel in front of you :eek:
With regards to the tuner/chips, I was given a "Superchip 1705 Max micro tuner" but my vehicle doesn't have a fuse in the OBDII port (12 volt outlet)! I've been told, these tuner/chips require power from that circuit but this doesn't have the wiring in the back of the fuse holder, yet the two 12 volt sockets have power :dunno
I've noticed a factory sticker (decal) on the left side door frame stating " incomplete vehicle manufactured by ford motor company" with a date tag of 5/99. This vehicle wasn't complied for Australian service until mid 2001, being converted to Right hand drive in 2001.

Cheers, Russ

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
"Incomplete" usually means it was a chassis cab.

Have you tried hooking up the tuner to see if it connects?

fraree

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For tunes, look at power hungry performance, beans diesel, tony wildman performance, innovative diesel..
Just to name a few. [/QUOTE]

The big question is with electronic stuff, is that some of it won't work on our vehicles over here? Told by some Aussie F series dismantlers, a lot of stuff (parts) won't interchange either. An Edge Tuner for $1k here :eek:

Cheers, Russ

fraree

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Incomplete" usually means it was a chassis cab.

Have you tried hooking up the tuner to see if it connects?

Yes, plugged it in but nothing on the screen at all, like no power to the unit. Thought it may have been "vin locked" but the previous owner withdrew the tuner info from his F250 before he sold it. :dunno

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Maybe you all got different PCM's.
I don't have much expertise in that area. Still learning.

I bet one of the tuning companies here could figure something out though.

Is the plug trapezoid shaped?

fraree

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe you all got different PCM's.

I bet one of the tuning companies here could figure something out though.

Is the plug trapezoid shaped?

The plug is the standard shape & located in the usual position. Will probably have to contact Ford USA, as Ford Australia has deleted much of the info cookoo, apparently, because they never sold very many F series here, (were more than double the price of a comparable ? Japanese vehicle because of dumb government taxes etc)
The company who markets "Superchip tuners" here, virtually laughed in my face, saying they no longer sell that model here, "so stiff ****" :mad:

Last edited: