hey. i could us some info on a 7.3 idi

fordboy88

Reaction score
(I have a 1992 Ford f-250 custom 4x4 7.3 idi non turbo.) And this is whats going on with it, I asked someone how to turn up my fuel pump up. Well the guy that i asked didnt know what he was talking about, and now my truck runs at 1500 rpm's, but now I know what he told me to turn up and that would be my fuel govaner and some other people I talked to say it is the fuel pressure regulator, and I turned that (2) full turns to the left, but I tried to turn it down the same as I turned it up and it is still doing the same thing, so I did it some more and still doing it and staying a 1500 rpm's, I was just wanting to see if someone could tell me how to set everthing back to stock and I would like to find a kit to rebuild it, I have looked but cant find one. And I was wanting to know if a gmc pump is the same as a ford pump? I was looking them up and they both are (DB-2) pumps. Thank You, and I hope someone could help me out on this here. And i hop this is better for you yall to read.

this is what i turned up. the nut lookin thing. with the springs on both sides of it.
You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

i dont no if i am putting that lil thing in the right place. i dont no what you would call it.
[/IMG]

if this here was bad would that make it not do what its suepose to do.
[/IMG]

Last edited:

1989f2507.3idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got pics ? dont worry i would let ur truck run and turn back what ever you turnd untill it mad u idle under 1k rpms

hope that helped

tractorman86

Reaction score
surely you didnt hurt anything, it's just out of adjustment. get the pics and show us what you did and we can get ya straitened out

1989f2507.3idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
get a photo bucket account at photobucket.com and upload pics then hit the adress bar at the bottom of the pic the in quick reply right click to paste

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
ok. i have a 92 ford f-250 custom 4x4. told to tur this this up and at the time i didnt no what it was. well now i do and it was the govoner on the fuel injector pump. so now my truck sets and runs at 1500 rpms. and i trued it down but still settin at 1500. i was wantin to no if someone to could tell me a web set i would go to and find the stock sittings for it. and i need a rebuild kit to. if you could help me with that one to. thanks and hop you can help.

Fordboy, i know you're new here, but for everyone's sake, could you please proof read your message before posting? I can barley understand you!

fordboy88

Reaction score
yes i am and i am sorry for that i cant spell to well. but i well do what i can to fixs it.

85hauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you adjusted is the governor. It controls min and max speed. If that is all you messed with then turning the nut back to the original setting should of brought your idle speed down. You might turn the nut some more.

As for "turning the pump up" there is a triangle shaped cover on the pass side of the pump. Behind that cover there is a screw that adjusts for more fuel. when the drive pin on the pump gear is at 12o'clock position then the screw is accessable. If you don't have a pyrometer I wouldn't recommend adjusting the pump.

The GM DB2 pumps rotate the opposite direction of the Ford versions.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
ok. where would that screw be at.

Right here, turn it counter clock wise with the engine off & see how it idles when you start it up. Remember don't turn it down too much, you want it to be able to idle good with the tranny in gear & the AC on like if you were at a stop light. But not enough that it fights your brakes. If my tach worked I'd show you what mine idles at.

You must be registered for see images attach

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
Normal warm idle should be 600 rpms +- 50.

Fordboy88, i appreciate the time you took to rewrite your messages, thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online