hey guys i love this place

millertime

Reaction score
Hello all,

This might be my first post. Firs I wanted to say thanks. I have learned a lot on this forum. I have 1993 ford diesel ambulance that is a fun project. I just accuried a 1983 ford ranger diesel. I have been on that forum but haven't really heard of any one having the head ported and polished. I was wondering if any one on here can redomend a competent head shop. Thanks guys. I plan on posting my build on the ranger. The ambulance may be on its way to being a fummins.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Oil Burners, the best place for IDI info bar none.

Sounds like you have a small stable of diesels, I like the combo too, ambulance and diesel ranger! Kool, I wish I could get a diesel ranger...ugh

Take some time look around, check out our FAQ, and Tech sections as well as the HALL of Shame for known vendors not so good to deal with...ya it happens...so learn from others mistakes...

Please fill your signature in too.

How bout some pics of these fine rigs you have? Is that ranger a 4x? Extra cab? What?

Again Welcome to OB

Al

millertime

Reaction score
Thanks I'm pretty stoked. I think i forgot to mention my 3rd idi. 1989 vw diesel 1.6 turbo. I should have that running tomorrow or saturday. Its been a long swap, i wanted to get everything right. The ranger is a single cab 2wd long bed with 2 tanks. Real stoked about the dual tanks as I have a large barrel of wmo and a centerfuge. I finally got the ambulance started today and I'm starting to think its a blown head gasket, not excited about that.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks I'm pretty stoked. I think i forgot to mention my 3rd idi. 1989 vw diesel 1.6 turbo. I should have that running tomorrow or saturday. Its been a long swap, i wanted to get everything right. The ranger is a single cab 2wd long bed with 2 tanks. Real stoked about the dual tanks as I have a large barrel of wmo and a centerfuge. I finally got the ambulance started today and I'm starting to think its a blown head gasket, not excited about that.

Wow...yet another one in the stable...awesome....good stuff..

Nice ranger sounds like a great candidate for the WMO, Im a WVO fan myself, have about 100 gallons right now to process and as soon as I can get filter/cetrifuge, I'll be all over it and blending with Stove oil for winter use.

If indeed it is HG there is a really good thread here by another van owner who's doing said in frame so you can bend his ear...I"m sure he'll chime in and comment. Cannot recall name or thread though...

Al

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
..........If indeed it is HG there is a really good thread here by another van owner who's doing said in frame so you can bend his ear...I"m sure he'll chime in and comment. Cannot recall name or thread though...Al

Well, Al, since Jon from Canada hasn't chimed in yet, allow me to refresh our memories:

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...e-in-Van&highlight=E350+head+gaskets+in+frame

In-frame work like Jon's is AMAZING!! :hail:hail:hail

We pulled my engine from the van a few months ago when my time came. But, then, my buddy's crazier than me, and hella graceful with a hoist...

millertime

Reaction score
I checked out your thread and it is inspiring. I have a few things against me though. I have a HUGE hvac system because of the ambulance thing. So heres my question is it possible to swap the whole engine with the body on. Ford told me they couldnt or wouldnt pull the body. I want to do a mild build on a 6.9 becuase imho there more reliable than a 7.3 I really wanted to do a cummins 4bt swap but its cost prohibitive. So im thinking heads baby moose pump and call it a day. Should still cost way less than the cummins not to mention the transmission build that would have to be built to handle that.

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I checked out your thread and it is inspiring. I have a few things against me though. I have a HUGE hvac system because of the ambulance thing. So heres my question is it possible to swap the whole engine with the body on. Ford told me they couldnt or wouldnt pull it. I want to do a mild build on a 6.9 becuase imho there more reliable than a 7.3 I really wanted to do a cummins 4bt swap but its cost prohibitive. So im thinking heads baby moose pump and call it a day. Should still cost less than the cummins not to mention the transmission build that would have to be built to handle that.

4BT and a Ford trans are fine...handles the stock IDI torque...it's going to take a 4BT too...my concern is rattling they are a rattle can compared to 6BT or IDI

I don't know what you can or cannot do based on skill/knowledge etc in regards to pulling engine with body on Frame...I don't know if it's possible or not, IMHO it is...but I could be wrong...again...Ford doesn't likely think you will spend the $$$$$$$$$$$$$ to get that done either being that it is an older vehicle...I don't know for sure though of course...

I betcha where willingness to persevere and some good old fashioned gitterdun attitude you could do this and think a way through...even if it means a removal of HVAC....

Just sayin...

U can do it !

millertime

Reaction score
Thanks, yeah ill see whats up with my options. I'm really concerned about cavitation. That would be my luck to get the heads done and have it cavitate. Didn't know the 4bt was more of a rattler. But 6.9s are a dime a dozen. I gotta finish my jetta, keep telling my self its a day away and then i run into something stupid small that takes a week to get parts for. And then steering suspension, patching wholes and running new lines on the fuel tanks on the ranger. Thanks for all the input guys ill keep you posted. I'm thinking waking the hvac is gonna be a necessary upgrade.

millertime

Reaction score
The van has 200k on it also. I've noticed lots of small things. Didn't get a chance to do the gasket chemical test today, kind of dont want to know the results.

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The a/c system isnt hard to do it just looks complicated, MAKE SURE you pull the evap out and clean it if it needs it, you can add new refrigerant and a compressor and everything .. but unless the evap is clean and free of debri you wont have good air flow and it wont be as cold as it could be, and buy a quality oring kit and replace every o-ring you come across lube them with the a/c compressor oil. You can pull the system apart and do everything your self except recharging it, unless you have a vaccume pump and a guage set.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight