Here is what that CHUFF noise in the exhaust means

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
False alarm on the pushrod. It looked silver on the outside end, only 'cuz it had mostly worn off. Just enough copperness on there to make me look even dumber than I do already.. Pushrods should probably be replaced with lifters.

(Would the engine really have run fairly well for 8,000 miles with a turned-around pushrod?) :frustrate

Gearing up to pull the engine yet again. Several miscellaneous upgrades can be performed with engine out. A setback, but not as bad as it could be.

And, no, my phone camera doesn't do macro........

You must be registered for see images attach

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
OK, Jimbob. To determine which cylinder has the bad valve?

This is all so simple, just frustrating for me. Especially since this all started when my heads were re-done.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That compression tester (Harbor Freight) would not work for my IDI. Maybe they changed the adaptors, but they were wrong in the kit I got.

Heath

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Thanks, Heath. Oldbull8 had a thread about the $30 one (#93644) Last year. That one has an adapter that needs modification.

Are you speaking of the $180 one, #46800?? That was the one I was planning to get.

Last edited:

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Did a bit more research on these kits. First is the online pic of the Harbor Freight $180 kit. None of these adapters look correct to me.

Next is a kit from NAPA. These also don't look right to me.

So, OK. I don't feel competent enough to try to modify the connector I have with the cheap Harbor Freight kit.

What kits DO you fellas have that fit our engines?:confused:

EDIT: Getting a bunch of " Warning: Illegal string offset 'link' in....." on top of the page, and pics aren't working. Grrrr.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the Mityvac MV5535? The adapter looks correct (finally), and the price is about the same as the Harbor Freight kit.......

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Very good, Jimbob, thanks. The M10x1.00 is included in the kit I'm buying ( http://www.mityvac.com/hq_images/MVA5603.jpg ). And this kit costs only a bit more than the "higher quality" kit from Harbor Freight.

Due to issues with my other ride, I will be running the van (gently) again starting tomorrow. Time for an oil change etc. service, too. Stay tuned.

Grease gun hose, eh? Coolness.

BTW, I never did time the IP after doing the heads, IP and injectors last year. Just confirming, a mild miss and chuff like mine wouldn't be caused by bad timing, would it? :dunno

gatorman21218

Reaction score
timing shouldnt matter. I had mine at 20 degrees and all it did was burn out the glow plugs. I did lose a glow plug tip so technically timing could cause a problem but the timing itself wont matter.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
idi_econo,
Where you at? I have these from tooldiscounter and find it to be usable. Took three tries to get a gauge that read zero out of the box but tooldiscounter was great about taking care of me and even called me to get it resolved. If you're near me and want to borrow it, let me know. I'll try to dig it out of the garage.

1 | STATU-15-1A | DIESEL ADAPTER | $5.98| $5.98
1 | FERV765-01 | Diesel Injection Detector wIth | $198.10| $198.10
1 | STATU-15PB | Diesel compression tester | $34.51| $34.51

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online