Help needed with a vehicle inspection near Durango Colorado

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Gang! I'm wanting to purchase a 94 F-250 Turbo near Durango Colorado. It looks like a really good truck! I'd love to see you in person, but unfortunately right now I'm in New York. Is there anyone who is a competent mechanic and close enough to make an inspection feasible? I would of course compensate for time spent...

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Calvin!
The current owner is a bush pilot and he's got his A&P ticket, so he knows about maintenance. Difs serviced every 15k, tranny at 20k, etc. After speaking with him, I'm fairly certain that 5 he truck is up to muster. Still, I'd like to have someone with my best interests in mind take a look at it before I commit to buy. I'm considering calling a local diesel shop and inquiring if they or one of their mechanics would do a inspection next weekend. I'm also considering having the truck shipped to North Florida and flying down to pick it up and register it then driving back to NY. After fuel, food and lodging it'd probably be a $500-$600 difference and save me a bunch of time which these days is in short supply...

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Durango is pretty much out in the BFE for most of us, literaly through the mountains and over the river, around the woods and look out for big foot... It's a 7 hour drive from where I'm at, pretty much border to border drive. Probably not many members anywhere close to 100 miles of there.

Best bet is to Google a shop there and try to get to owner to take it there. Then you need to call the shop and talk directly to the mechanic so there's no way the owner can skew the info and leave out some important details.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Durango is pretty much out in the BFE for most of us, literaly through the mountains and over the river, around the woods and look out for big foot... It's a 7 hour drive from where I'm at, pretty much border to border drive. Probably not many members anywhere close to 100 miles of there.

Best bet is to Google a shop there and try to get to owner to take it there. Then you need to call the shop and talk directly to the mechanic so there's no way the owner can skew the info and leave out some important details.

Thanks for your input.
Yes, after looking at the map, I came to the same conclusion. It looks like beautiful country. There are a few diesel shops in the area, guess I'll make some calls on Monday. The owner seems pretty straight up and the truck looks good, but still I'd like unbiased opinion before I dump, what is to us a bunch of money on what is definitely not a "hobby truck".

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention there is a wildland fire there right now.. 500 evacuated.. more pending...

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Forgot to mention there is a wildland fire there right now.. 500 evacuated.. more pending...
You're right. I had forgotten about that. I'm planning to be down in that area Labor Day weekend, but that would probably be too late. If it was sooner, I'd take a look at it for you.

OldCoasty

Reaction score
If you can, contact Diesel Tech in Cortez. They are about the best Diesel shop in the Cortez area. Not cheap, but good and they are a ASE Certified garage...

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. However, the truck is in Pagosa Springs and I've got to find someone who can come to the truck. Owner is not in town but he left the keys with a neighbor so I could have it checked out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online