Help needed possible ip issues

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Also seams to not happen, or not happen as quick if I avoid the highway. That's why I started to lean toward some sort of heat soak issue. My water in fuel light has worked in the past and didn't come on at all.

No.
Heat soak will happen rather driving fast or slow.
That's fuel supply issue. Try driving in a lower gear with higher rpms, I bet it happens just as fast.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might try loosening the fuel cap. Might be pulling vacuum for some strange reason.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does pull a vaccine in the tank. I have ran a full tank without piping the cap and the metal tank slammed back into shape. However the last time it happened I had the cap off for this reason. Still happened, and the time before it was only minutes after filling up. The first time was under vacume in the tank. Changed my lift pump but I don't have time to drive it for 15 miles to see if it happens and I'm not risking being late to work. So my father is taking it in the morning since it tends to die only about a mile from his work(I drive right by it and 3 out of 4 times that's where it died)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I just read that you said there is NO fuel coming out of the schrader when it is running and your testing it. That's a problem! There is a specific test that REQUIRES a certain amount of flow when the engine is RUNNING from that schrader valve. This is a really simple problem with a really simple fix. You just need to go through the fuel supply system in a methodical manner, checking every component for proper function. I can't believe your going to let your dad just take it for a drive. This is not the kind of problem that fixes itself, and your constantly starving that injection pump of fuel which is not doing it any good.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if that mr. Gasket electric lift pump is giving out. I had one die after a few hours of use... makes sound but barely puts out a trickle. The little pre-filter could be clogged too.

They're meant to be gravity fed, so if it's in the engine bay it's likely overworked and under delivering.

Ahh....this I may have an idea of...

First need to know...DID you install that wee tiny filter on the pump on the suck side? If so it's likely getting clogged up and then cannot deliver fuel.

I had an issue where I would have symtoms like you describe with my mean green pump and was able to diagnose it to a clogged itty bitty fuel filter.

I then drill it out and installed it never to have another issue again!

JM2CW

Two days ago we ID'd a potential issue with the prefilter on the Mr. Gasket Pump... have you checked it out yet? You said you changed the lift pump... to what? Did you evaluate the e-pump that was already on there?

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the lift pump because that appeared to be the only possible cause. Filter was clear all lines are clear. Fuel was coming out of the shrader fine every time up until it died the first time every day. Afterwords even though you could hear the pump running it wasn't pumping. Filter was clear, fuel poorer out of the line on both sides of the pump when I disconected the lines so I assume that is clear, I found no kinks in any lines. With the new pump on it pumped fine cold. Now the only way to test it is to drive it. My work is too far so if it happened to break down I would need to pay for a tow. My father could just call me and I could drag it to his work. I'm not about to let my truck sit in my driveway and run for 3 or 4 hours to see if it happens. Even then there is no load so it will take much longer to burn the same fuel. Obviously something is wrong pre filter. I know that now thanks to your advice and input. Now I just have to figure out what. I am willing to bet it was the lift pump. That's why he drove it

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, the details are helping us see the whole picture. I hope the new e pump works well, it's good that you tested it cold before a road test.

I hope that's all it was!

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well so far no problems, however I still haven't taken it back to work. My dad has been driving it and I have been doing his truck( not complaining since its a 600hp compound turbo 5 speed 12 valve dodge). I'll probably take my truck for a distance test this weekend and see how it goes.