Help needed, light problem

FiredudeL4

Reaction score
Hey guys hope this finds all well, Im not sure were to post this so I also posted it in the lounge (sorry Mod. for the double post, feel free to delate one of need be) Anyway Im haveing a problem with my brake lights, some info on it, I have a headache rack with brake/turn/ backup lights in it, now if I hit my brakes I have NO RIGHT side brake lights -cuss but I do have left side, NOW........I do have right side turn signals???? any ideas suggestions on what/where to start looking thanks

stay safe out there
Roy :draw

Roland_Jenkins

Señor Member
Reaction score
You didn't say but I'm gonna assume you have 1157 or similar type bulb in the brake / tail / turn signal in question.

Remove the bulb and have somebody step on the brakes. With your 12 volt tester see if you got power. If you do, clean both the contact's on the bulbs and the connections

BJS

Reaction score
Is your light problem just in the headache rack or is it still a problem with the lights on the bed?

Where did you tap into the factory wiring for your lights in the headache rack? I'd check this splice first. Then check the factory plug for bed removal.

Mastertech

Car Doc
Reaction score
We are going to need a little more info so we can help ya.
Is it just the Headache rack or do the truck lights not work either.

FiredudeL4

Reaction score
Opps sorry, not sure of the "model number" of the lights they are the oval shapped ones that have a rubber plug/pigtail in the back and are sealed (got them at NAPA) if I hit my brakes I have no brake lights(right side) on the truck or headache rack, but the turn signals on both the headache rack and truck(right side) do work, I tapped into the "main" wire harrness that runs inside the frame I was able to find out which wires I needed to go to from a friend that works at FORD, what is confussing to me is, its my understanding that the brakes get there "power" thru the same wire as the turn signals, so if I have turn signals I should have brakes right? :confused: ok hope this makes things alittle more understanding

kwazyca

HALF A BUBBLE OFF?
Reaction score
Mastertech said:
We are going to need a little more info so we can help ya.
Is it just the Headache rack or do the truck lights not work either.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong her but....Could the headache rack lights be tapped into the trailer supply?

If it is the headache rack lights it might be a seperate fuse in the underhood fuse box. I believe that there are seperate fuses for each side of the trailer lights.

Worth a try anyway,

Tom

Mastertech

Car Doc
Reaction score
I would start by checking fuse 6 in the underhood fusebox.
That should be the fuse for the rightside brake light.

Mastertech

Car Doc
Reaction score
FiredudeL4 said:
Ok fuse #6 is good :frustrate

The wiring for the brake lights go from the brake light switch on the brake pedal to the turnsignal switch. There is a single light green wire going to the T\S switch from the brake light switch and from there you have a Orange wire with a Light Blue stripe on it than goes from the T\S switch to the right brake light. I would use a test light and check the Orange\Light Blue wire where it comes out of the T\S switch to see if it has power when stepping on the brakes. To get to this wire you will need to remove the screws from the housing around the T\S switch and remove the housing so you can get to the wires and probe them with a test light. If you have no power on the Orange\Light Blue wire when stepping on the brakes you have a bad T\S Switch.
Sometimes you can wiggle the T\S Switch while stepping on the brakes and the brake lights will start working, which will tell you there is a bad connection inside the T\S Switch.

Hope this helps you.

FiredudeL4

Reaction score
Ok think I found the problem as Mastertech said it looks to be a bad turn signal switch, I used a length of pipe to hold the brake down and no right side brakes on headache rack or truck, wiggled turn signal swithch some when back and wall-laa right side brake lights on truck and headache rack,sooooo anybody know what a decent price for a turn signal switch is????

stay safe out there
Roy

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our sponsor Dale @ powerstrokeshop.com has one listed on his site for $49. You might drop him a line and find out what he knows about it.

SEE HERE

-cuss , thats not the right link. Go to that site and search for it or simply drop Dale a line here and pick his brain.

Last edited:

Big Red CC Dually

Reaction score
FiredudeL4 said:
Cool thanks guys ;Sweet , looks like this place is going to be better than TDS :puke:

stay safe out there
Roy :draw

Roy,

I think Renegade has had some success cleaning the "God Wand" turn/hi-low beam, wiper control etc. etc. switch. If not Patrick Feeley (sorry Patrick if I misspelled it) on TDS has done it. I'd drop both them a PM and save a lil' money first to see if it would fix the problem. If it doesn't the $42 is a good price.

Last edited: