Help me build the perfect front leaf spring packs

Reaction score
Well, I have to finally give in and swap a D60 into my truck. I am just not home long enough to build the TTB D50 like I want it. But anyhoo let us stay focused on the springs. I am installing ORU Shackle Reverse Kit:

http://www.offroadunlimited.com/orustore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=8306

and I am going to need about two to three more inches of lift out of my springs. Right now I have coil springs and some ill conceived home made solutions to getting some more lift. It would have worked out great if my leave was not cut short and I could have completed the fabrication. So, I am not real sure how much more lift I require. I am going to let the spring shop help with that one. I do want new spring packs built but I have not messed with leafs in so long I have forgotten what all things I should ask for. Should I ask for a military wrap, should I have radius edges, what about graphite paint should I demand they be coated in that? I plan to have the install greasable polyurethane bushings but I am not sure what else I should ask for. This truck is primarily used on the street and hauls heavy loads. The front end is used when we have a stubborn trailer that is in sand or mud. We also use it when we travel down some crappy back roads with a trailer. So I am more concerned with ride quality on the street that off road prowess. Shoot me your ideas.

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best riding 1 ton front leaves I've seen are under a friends 93 dodge. He had them made with 10 or so thin leaves (1/4" thick or less), military wrap and used adhesive backed black UHMW plastic strips on both sides of every leaf. Bean under the truck for a long time, he works it hard and it rides like a million bucks.

IMHO, the SKY shackle reversal is better quality than the ORU stuff and it's 2/3 the price.

I build my own shackle reversal front crossmembers for the 80+ trucks and buy the rear shackles seperate from SKY. If you build the front crossmember rigid enough and weld it to the frame you can completely eliminate the panhard bar with rear shackles.

Reaction score
Sky Shackle? I did not think of them, thanks. If I was home I would prefer to biuld my of reversal kit. ut I will have a short time from to do this so it all has to be premaid and ready to bolt in.

Reaction score
I called Sky last night and got all the information I needed. I really appreciate you telling me about them. They had the solutions I needed at a lot less money. Very easy people to deal with.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online

No members online now.