Help! Heater - AC Control panel & Blend Door Cable

Sorro71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of rebuilding my engine and while it's still out I'm trying to fix the AC / Heater controls, Being that the truck was imported to Australia it was converted to RHD. My problem is that the heater control panel has been butchered and looks nothing like what's in the factory manuals.
I'm trying to restore the thing back to what it was originally. I've tried for a couple of months now to find a panel and blend door cable for a truck with factory fitted A/C over here without any luck. From what I can tell the vacuum selector is from some other vehicle and the control lever has been modified, also the blend door control cable has been cut and a new cable has been rigged in there which goes to a valve fitted into the heater hose in the engine bay.
When the engine was still running I tested the vacuum motors and they functioned correctly so it's not that. Luckily the blend door still operates and the foam seal is in good order. I cant see why they would of done this except that they may not have known how the blend door operated and assumed it was broken or the cable ends broke or got damaged.
The only new cable I've been able to find so far is from LMCtruck but its listed only for 92-2 to 95 models
Would anyone have a spare panel and cable they could sell or know where I may be able to source one?
Attached are a couple of photos of what I have at the moment. The one with the bent inner cable is looking from underneath.
You must be registered for see images attach

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks like dealer installed AC. or maybe a van item. I have a parts truck at a buddys place but dont know if it has ac or not. cable may be the same regardless. do you have a needed length?

Sorro71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I,m not sure of the length Russ. I'll borrow the wife's soft sewing tape and see what I can get. Wish me luck I may not survive:D I've spent the last hour or so upside down under the dash and have found out why they did what they did. When they converted to RHD they cut the function selector cam assy off the bottom of the plenum assy this is now where the accelerator cable comes in and they put a vacuum actuator up in the ducting the open and close between the floor and defrost. That explains the different vacuum selector on top. Whether they cut the heater control cable then and fitted the valve is anyone's guess.

Sorro71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks about 34" long. I'm not sure how much has been cut off. It looks as though it's just the inner that's been cut.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.