Help!!!! 6.9 won't start!!

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Knuckledragger,

Damn I forgot all about the blinker fluid level and muffler bearings.

I was thinking maybe the prior owner of this engine put crankshaft in upside down and the flywheel on backwards which caused the starter to turn the motor backwards creating a vacuum in each cylinder instead of compression. Grey smoke coming out of the intake, just some smoke off the starter because it does not want to spin the engine backwards and the smoke was sucked in by the flywheel and pushed out the valve guides. It all made perfect sense till you said Blinker Fluid!

But come to think of it blinker fluid is way more plausible, it's always the obvious stuff! Coming to you for advice in the future! Boy was I way off base!

CBRF3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dirtydiesel21 I bet Lifters when you took it apart I bet you left the lifters un tensioned and they locked pumped up from theyre internal spring pressure this is holding valves open when they should be closed. I just went thru this myself on one of my motors and I am here in florida where exactly are you at I may be able to help you out a bit as I have built tons of these motors and used to have 2 fleets of these I built and maintained myself.

I advise ordering a new set of lifters remove the intake and make sure to remove the injection pump properly or your asking for alot of headache retiming it do not for gods sake ever take it off in the what looks like designed method of the 4 bolts on the top of the motor aka timing pump cover that is the wrong way.

one of my other motors if I let it set a week or so unstarted when start it it puffs backwards out the intake for a few seconds then goes to normal and its doing it on 1 cylinder as I said lifters and is exact same problem your dealing with and that cylinder reads literally 0psi compression for about 30 seconds of running then after I can check it and get 450psi ish on all cylinders.

I want to also say the lifter issues are a major product of the new diesel oil standard its not exactly compatible with our motors specifically the valve train aka lifters the new CK4 standard removed alot of the upper valve train testing requirements and has caused alot of issues for 6.9 / 7.3 idi owners and 6.0 / 7.3 powerstroke owners even ford 6.7 and cummins / duramax are requiring theyre oil only or voiding warranty because they found issues with the new CK4 oil standard that was killing theyre motors specifically valvetrain components.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online