HELP! 5.9 Sputtering out...

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
1993 Dodge D-250, 5.9, A518 (46RH), 304,000 miles

My truck is dying on me at anything over half throttle. It will run just fine as long as I stay below half throttle but as soon as I go past that it acts like you just shut it off, then it will fire, die, fire, die, etc until you let off to behind half throttle. It did this once before when I hooked my TPS back up but I unhooked it again (still plugged in just laying on top of the motor) and it's been fine since. I thought that's what caused it (the TPS) but now it's doing it even when unhooked. It's not hurting me when I drive it without a trailer on the back but I'm worried it's gonna keep getting worse until I can't even break idle. Anyone have any suggestions? Truck still runs great when it's not sputtering and pulls consistent 22 mpg with no smoke or haze.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Is your fuel filter clogged? Mine would do just as you describe when she was starved for fuel and swapping the fuel filter did the trick on more than one occasion... Also gelling fuel will do it as well. I haven't had problems with gelling fuel in years because everything that comes from the stations around here is already treated before it even arrives at the stations but I'm not sure where you are.... So if the fuel filter change doesn't do it then try some anti-gel additive and see what happens. I know when I was running alt fuels (waste motor oil - cooking oil) when the temps would drop I would see what you are describing so I would have to fill her up with straight diesel to thin out the mix. I know here lately it's been freaking cold down here and can only imagine what it been like further north.

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
I'll try throwing a filter at it and see if it helps. Can't hurt anyway. Is there a way to diagnose the lift pump?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VWAudiFord

Members online