Hello

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all I am pretty new to this site and new to the IDI so dont be too mean if i ask a couple of dumb questions. I have an '89 350 service truck have have the crane, welder, tools, etc so this thing weighs about 15820lbs according to the local elevator so i would like to do a few things to help it out. From looking at the site here you guys know the weak links and how to improve them so what should i be looking for. Also is there any way to help with the fuel mileage.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Welcome to the site!

You don't say what kind of mileage you are getting and with all of that weight, it is questionable how much improvement you can get. Do you know your rear end ratio? Is it an automatic or manual transmission?

Pictures and more information will help you get the answers you want.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
I have a 6.9l N/A with a C6 and a 4.10 diff I get about 12 mpg, but I do have a 12,000lb 5th wheel which I havent pulled with this truck yet.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Welcome to Oilburners 1466IH. You won't really get bashed for asking any questions around here. You have stumbled across a rather knowledgeable and easy going group of guys here. With 5:13 gears are you sure you don't have an F-Superduty as opposed to an F350? The weight of your rig is leading to make me believe its a Superduty.:eek: I would start with a fresh pump and injectors if you do not know the age of what you are running. Second to that would be a turbo which will give you more power and may help economy a bit as well.

Take a few minutes and list the complete specs in your signature so we can see what you are running. Pictures of your work horse will get you places too. We all like some good pics around hereLOL

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and dumb questions are a thought... Not something we bash for. We all had questions about these rigs in the begining too so don't feel like your asking a dumb or silly question... Please read the Hall of Shame forum before you buy anything... Not reading that forum and then buying crap sold by anyone lited there is.. Well you get the idea... Even if a members reads that section and then buys crap from a listed seller we kinda think... Well theres just no hope for those warned members... After all it is their money. We really try to avoid new members making the mistakes that have already been made by us. That way we try to save you the new guy the heartbreaks of mistakes and money poorly spent. As asked above, if you have a 10 lug nut wheel setup you will have the 5.13 gears. Maybe even talled gears too. Those type trucks were called superduty rigs and they had rear disc brakes and a straight axle up front... Auto or standard trans too. Do you have a single or duall rear wheel setup.. I'm thinking its a dually. The injecters and injection pump miles can mean plenty as far as mileage goes too. Usually 125,000 miles is the service limit on these. Some get more and some get less too. Any fuel leaks will increase the fuel useage too causing a lower mpg reading. Any leaks around the injecters is an area that needs attention. We recommend only two locations for injecters and injection pumps. If needed please ask those locations before buying the cheapest ebay deal.. We never tell you to buy rebuilt injecters. They mostly never last. Actually the repair parts needed to rebuild them are more expensive than buying new. The best injecter is the BB code. Many have tried the "turbo G codes but they are not a good with hp and mileage as the BB codes. Timing is very important for good hp and mileage.. Hope this guides you along the way but please remember to ask questions before wrenching or buying... We can save you money and time...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Oil Burners and ....HaPpY NeW YeAr to ya!

Sounds like a cool machine you got, we NEED pictures of it for sure.

As covered, check out the various forums we have, Tech section, FAQ section of course as Gary (Icanfixall) mentioned Hall of Shame.

Any time we get a supplier whom well is debatable over ethics and cannot provide good support and won't look after the subject they usually end up in the Hall of Shame, its not a nice place to live that's for sure.

As mentioned, please fill in your signature with truck details, upper right area go to settings then on left side of screen edit signature.

Again Welcome to OB

Al