Headlight Removal and Replacement Questions?

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have new headlights (the plastic lens, not the bulbs) for my 1988 F250, but I can't see a clear way to remove the old ones. What are the steps for removal?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

akoldnav

Last edited:

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Piece of cake. ;Sweet
Firsdt ya gotta remove the batteries to get to the 2 nuts that are on the back side of the core support.
10mm IIRC.
Ya also gotta remove the grill. 4 screws and it will be retained by a few snap fittings near the screw locations. Should come right out. There will be a couple of nuts also on the black headlight mounting bracket 10mm also I think. The headlight assembly should come right out. One thing to watch for is the nuts may be rusted onto the studs and can strip out the studs, when removing, which are mounted into the molded plastic. Some penetrant of yer favorite choice should work.
From there it should be a snap on removing the lenses from the assembly. The marker lights will also be attached to the assembly as well when it all comes out.
If the studs do strip out on removal. The ole JB Weld did the trick on the repair.

Here's a couple of pics on the general location of the 4 nuts to remove the assembly.

Attachments

• Cold air 1.JPG
    Cold air 1.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Cold air 2.JPG
    Cold air 2.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 19

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, that will be this Saturdays project. I also have a heavy duty wiring harnes with relays. Now if I can find some high wattage lights to put in there.

Thanks again for the help.

akoldnav