Headlight lens cleaning on inside

vmax3_2001

Reaction score
Was wondering how the heck the headlight lenses come off. My lenses have so much yellowish build up on the inside of the lens I can barely see anything at night. I was going to try and take them off to clean them for now because funds are a little tight. I can't seem to figure out how to do it. Also what can I try and do to clean them. Appreciate the help. I'd post pics but don't know how to do it if some one could explain that also would appreciate it pics are worth a thousand words.

vmax3_2001

Reaction score
I think I may be confusing in my wording i sorry about that I meant how do you take them off of the truck. do I need to remove the grill, is there any hidden screws or bolts, I never did it before, and I'm not sure how to make sure they stay adjusted when I'm done. Sorry about that

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just pop the grill off and there's half a dozen or so bolts holding each lens in. I find it easiest to remove the batteries to reach the bolts on the inside of the rad support.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
You can use Mothers mag and aluminum polish on them, it works pretty good on clear plastic. I use it to clean the plastic that covers my guages. Last night I heard the Meguairs #2 fine cut cleaner is supposed to work pretty good as well. I just tried Meguairs clear plastic cleaner on my headlights, it removed the fog but did nothing for the yellowing. I am gonna hit them with the mag polish today and see if it helps.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used mag polish too with good results. I believe the stuff I am using is "blue magic".

I also have the headlight polishing kit they have in the store. It works good for headlights that are really rough. They give you 1000 grit, 1500 grit, and then 2000 grit sandpaper, and they also have a polish for the final step. If you decide to use your own sandpaper you have laying around, just make sure to keep dunking it in water to keep it clean and lubricated.

GasFree

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was wondering how the heck the headlight lenses come off. My lenses have so much yellowish build up on the inside of the lens I can barely see anything at night. I was going to try and take them off to clean them for now because funds are a little tight. I can't seem to figure out how to do it. Also what can I try and do to clean them. Appreciate the help. I'd post pics but don't know how to do it if some one could explain that also would appreciate it pics are worth a thousand words.

Best to get new ones like Towcat suggests buuuut if monies tight then from what I have been told the 3M lens restorer is the way to go. As far as the insides you'll have to break the seal to get at that. The way to reseal is to use the adhesive that is used for aquariums [tip from a ford guy]. Good luck.

jim x 3

1988 F-350 DRW
Reaction score
Well, my headlights are dim, so I'm doing the headlight relay mod.

(BTW, anybopdy know where I can buy electrical connectors of the type found in the 1988 headlamp connectors and headlamps?)

I've also noticed that I have water condensed inside the lenses. Now, this is the rainy season is Northern California, but how is water getting in there?

Regards,

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
The yellow haze is usually on the outside. All it takes is tooth paste (yes tooth paste) to remove it.

Take some old rag, put a good amount of toothpaste on it, and rub the lense hard for long enough, the yellow haze will come right off. Lense should look brand new, nice and clear!

swuchase1

Reaction score
and use the maguiars ball on a drill works pretty good. you can also use fine gritt sand paper first then polish. i used blue magic also but power ball is the trick

remington88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am gonna have to try that too. on country back roads i cant see **** gotta use the hellas but passing cars dont like that to much