Having issues with headlight mod

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I did the headlight mod over the weekend. Followed the tech article step by step got everything wired up and found out a brand new relay I bought was bad because stuff wasn't working right. Bought another new one tonight and I'm still having issues. First off one headlight was wanting to stay on with the switch off and battery connected. I switched the constant power wire with the headlight switch wire on the relay #30 and#85 on the relay. That fixed the problem of one light staying on with the switch off and now both low beams work as they should. Hit the high beams and only one works. But switch the 2 87 wires on the relay and it will switch to the other high beam.

I'm guessing maybe this new relay is shot too?? Also one relay is labeled with 2 87's while the other is labeled 87 and 87a. Is that possibly where my problem lies?
It's really starting to frustrate me, especially when I followed the tech article on here and it turned out to be a little off on the wiring.. for my truck anyways. 91 f250
Need y'alls help again

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how they tell you to wire it or what relays you are supposed to have. But the relays with two 87 terminals are different than the relays with an 87 & 87A terminal. I think you need a matched set of relays. Hopefully this schematic helps out.

You must be registered for see images attach

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I'm assuming I need one with two 87's instead of 87 and 87a. Because the two of them need to be powered at the same time because its the high beams on both sides of the truck. Ill have to make yet another trip to slow riellys and get the correct relay and it should be ready to go

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I was afraid of but I didn't have a relay handy to look at to tell you the numbers on the contacts.

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'll grab the correct relay and report back after work.
But other than that problem the tech article on this was a little off as far as which wires to plug into which terminal on the relay. But either way I figured it out after a little sit down thinking haha

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The relays with 87a will work also, just don't use the 87a terminal. That relay works like a switch. 87a is on when the coil to the relay is off, and when the coil is powered, it switched over so that 87 has power and 87a doesn't.

I uses that type of relay and it works just fine.

Are you trying to use one relay for each headlight? You should be using one relay for low beams and another for high beams, with the two headlight wires for each low and high tied together and connected to the respective relay.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I'm using a separate relay for high beams and low beams.
I understand the issue I'm having now, just need to get a different relay and plug it in and my problems will be solved. Thanks for your help guys

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online