Has anyone fooled with the 9.0L International V8

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Is the 9.0L V8 Navistar motor a bigger version of the 6.9/7.3? What's the story with it? Are they good engines to work with?

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Nah, different engine family. DT's are all inline 6. The V8 was a 549ci IDI used in the MDs. I just wanted to see if anyone has worked on them, hopped them up, yada, yada. It's called a DV550.

Gary79F250

The Bawston Whalah
Reaction score
Crusader, a Thermo-Electron group Marinised a few of them, Idont recall wether anyone turboed one or not. Not really a big hit, these engines were made for tractors and fixed speed aplications. Didint fare to well in the marine spectrum. other than that a decent engine.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
What little I know about them so far, used in busses, medium duty S chassis IHs, and briefly in some of the farm tractors. Has a plunger style injection pump, indirect injection. Suffers from the same headgasket issues, at least the early models did. Pops oil coolers. But nothing that can't be fixed with modern technology. I know they sound good when they are getting worked.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from my experience with them their just like a 6.9/7.3.....liked blowing headgaskets, ventilating their blocks and made way more noise than power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.