Hard starting I need help

ramon f350

Reaction score
Ok heres the deal I have a brand new lift pump because it would only occasinaly be hard to start and you would have to crank on it for about 30 seconds to 1 min. to get the truck to start. It acted as if it was getting fuel so i replaced the obvious. i got the new lift pump in and now the front tank gauge shows to be empty but its full of fuel. and now if you drive the truck and get it hot it wont start until it cools off. I have heard of the tank slector vale allowing fuel to drain back but when you try to bleed it at the fuel filter you get fuel and no air so im very confused. the truck has started to get tempermental in the last couple of weeks and I have to take it on vacation in six days so I need all the help I can get.

Ramon

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the needle move when you switch from the front tank to the back? If the needle never moves and you run out of fuel on a "full" front tank, the selector valve on the frame rail may be the issue. If the needle moves and the rear tank sender is working well, then the front tank sender it likely the culprit to you fuel gauge issue.

As far as your starting problem.........How old are the injectors, the fuel return caps/line, and IP? Air leaks can cause hard starting. But, with you having issues with the IP needing to cool to get the truck to start makes me think it may be an injection pump problem............especially if you have a lot of miles on it.

Heath

ramon f350

Reaction score
yeah the needle works for the rear tank just not the front tank. the injectors are probably stock i have had the truck two years and havent changed them same with the IP if they are stock then they have 227k miles on them I was leaning toward the IP but I was hoping for some other suggestions

Ramon

bigbaddiesel37

Reaction score
I own a 91 f250 7.3L and it is sometimes hard to start. I read in the manual that international supplied ford with to put in with the owners manual that if you hold the gas pedal at half throtle prior to cranking the engine that it will start easier, I was not sure about that idea but it really does work and not just for ford idi diesels but also the 6.2L chevy's too. it might help your problem. good luck!

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not surprised on the Chevy 6.2 thing, it has essentially the same IP as out trucks, only it rotates in the opposite direction, IIRC. By pressing pedal halfway down before hitting the starter you're actually setting the high idle circuit, it works much like a carburetor choke as far as drive actions.

ramon f350

Reaction score
ok guys I changed out the fuel selector valve for the tanks last night and still no dice. The truck will not start if it is hot and you kill it and leave it for say 30 mins or so when you go to start it you will crank and crank on it and sometimes you get lucky sometimes not. I had another truck do this to me and we never go it figured out so now im hoping its not going to be the same way on this one. I guess now Im probably going to be looking at an injector pump.

7.3IH_Eggrole

Corn Shucker
Reaction score
If you want to avoid the pump for now try running a little water on the top of the pump behind the check valve, just a little bit, it will cool the pump off. I have had a couple IP to get worn and give me troubles. I personally spray ether on the pump to cool it off. It works better but I know some people are particular about spraying ether anywhere near a diesel, I dont mind.

I had an 1967 IH 856 tractor with a Roosamaster IP on it it has been that way forever (1988) when its hot in the late spring and early summer it just gets too hot outside and it will not start. Just poor a little water on it. My 1992 will do this in the summer as well, but it will work fine throughout the Fall, Winter and most of the Spring. So I just cool it off manually. And like you said it will do it sometimes and then other times not. I have noticed that my '92 will do it more often on the back tank so there may be another issue there as well.
Eddie

Exekiel69

Reaction score
With over 200k miles You got Your money back from that IP, You need to freshen up the fuel system with new IP and injectors. Do You use fuel additive with this IP? If You don't then try some it sure wont hurt it now.

ramon f350

Reaction score
well I Guess thats what im looking at doing but it will have to wait until I get back from the trip I just dont have enough hours in the day to get it done.... I use lucas fuel treatment everytime i get fuel so im good on the additive i know that I got the money's worth out of the pump I just wish it wouldnt have starteds to act up now. three weeks ago a drunk driver came down our road and hit my truck head on and then pulled up into our driveway and hit my wifes car and knocked it out into the yard up against a tree. it totaled her car and did $4500.00 worth of damage to mine. so it hasnt been a good start to the summer to say the least.

thanks for all your help
Ramon

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ramon,
i had a pump like that on my 6.2 - no start when hot, and eventually it got so bad that if i even stopped and idled for a while it would not move anymore, and if i let my foot off the pedal it would stall.
But, i was running wvo in another tank and it would run perfect on wvo and hot start on it and do anything i needed it to do right until the end when i finally pulled the pump and replaced it. I sent it in to see if it could be repaired and the tech was like "you were actually driving on this thing?".
So, you could try blending some wvo in or if you have two stock tanks put wvo in one and diesel in the other (if you can get wvo) and i am sure wmo would work as well. Even blending wvo or wmo in with the diesel would help.

Paul

fireguyry

Reaction score
I'm having a similar problem. My 7.3 starts very rough when it's cold. I have to turn it over 3 or 4 times before it will catch. The thing just turned 100,000 miles and started doing this. I'm new to the diesel world so any help would be appreciated.

Ryan

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ramon,
i had a pump like that on my 6.2 - no start when hot, and eventually it got so bad that if i even stopped and idled for a while it would not move anymore, and if i let my foot off the pedal it would stall.
But, i was running wvo in another tank and it would run perfect on wvo and hot start on it and do anything i needed it to do right until the end when i finally pulled the pump and replaced it. I sent it in to see if it could be repaired and the tech was like "you were actually driving on this thing?".
So, you could try blending some wvo in or if you have two stock tanks put wvo in one and diesel in the other (if you can get wvo) and i am sure wmo would work as well. Even blending wvo or wmo in with the diesel would help.

Paul

I was going to recommend this same thing. Mine started failing to start hot two years ago and I know its the ip, but adding wvo or motor oil to the tank has completely taken care of my hot start problems. Occasionally during the summer I will shut it down on pure d-2 and then use a bottle of water poured over the ip case to get it started.
I have put almost 20k on my pump that way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online