HARD START

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 1991 F250 is hard to start cold, my Glow Plugs are motorcraft ZD9s, the W.T.S light comes on for 10 sec. or so, but the volt meter doesnt jump after the light goes out like it used to,
It cranks-starts blowing white smoke for 20sec. (stop wait 2min.) then maybe 10-15 sec. more..
Could my Injector pump be on its way out???
The Injectors are one year old. so are the glow plugs

FordGuy100

Reaction score
So its acting like it isnt drawing any amps when they cycle? Next time get in your truck and put turn the lights on. Then watch them as you turn the key to cycle the glow plugs. If it dims, you know something is drawing amps.

If the light is coming on it should be working....

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
But why is the light coming on...unless the controller has failed is some sort of weird way I've never heard of LOL

when the one in my dads 7.3 failed the light would come on like normal but it wouldnt heat the plugs

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What can I do to check the controler..
I gotta get this fixed, Elk season starts soon
Ford guy 100-- I have a bench seat that I'm selling it soon, Truck has 70 or 80,000mi, seats in real good shape...

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I would try to wire the glow plug controller up manually, see if the glow plugs get juice then. If you want to do that, somebody should post up with a diagram showing how to do so.

What kind of seat?

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
yea, sounds like a bad controller. Mine went out not to long ago and the WTS light still stayed on for a normal time.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So were can I get some wiring diagrams for the stock controller???
And as always with these IDI's is ther a good controller and a bad contoller???
AND witch one should I stay away from???
THANKS..

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An easy way to keep an eye on the health of the GPR, is to connect a test lamp between the heavy terminal studs. This could be a lamp that you install as part of your regular instrumentation. The lamp will be lit constantly, any time the glow plugs are not drawing current. When the GPR conducts, the lamp will go out. If the GPR becomes faulty, the lamp may glow slightly or dim as the glow plug light illuminates. The only caviot to this, is that the lamp will be lit even when the key is off. So a relay may be added, connected to the key on circuit, to turn the lamp off when the truck is not on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online