Got some money to put in the old girl.

Meta6981

Reaction score
So I got my insurance settlement check from the insurance of the lady that backed into my car -cuss -cuss and I decided I am going to sink some money into Helga. She is almost at 300 thousand miles so its about time for her overhaul. I am going to put around $500 into her over all thats the max. Thus far I am goping to put a new set of injectors, glowplugs,tires,all fluids and filters changed, and proably some into suspension work. I am going to have her fuly aligned too which thankfully is going to be free might have to buy a 12 pack for whomever does that. My question is what else should or would be good to replace if not already mentioned above. I get my parts at wholesale price so that money should go a bit further than if all done by a shop. Thanks in advance.

Meta6981

Reaction score
Guides? like valve guides? Timing chain, is it isn't streched too much. Thanks for the input.

79 300sd

Reaction score
Guides? like valve guides? Timing chain, is it isn't streched too much. Thanks for the input.

Timing chain guides. I had one break last year while driving at 80 mph and it broke the chain, cam, cam towers, valve cover, and ruined a couple of the timing gears. The guide by the cam gear is pretty easy to change. The tensioner rail/guide is harder to change, and is the one that broke (at the pivot point) on my car. The two lower guides don't seem to wear much.

You can check the amount of chain stretch with a dial indicator to see if it is still within spec. If it is stretched, but within spec, you can get an offset key to correct the cam timing. Should help mileage and power, and would compliment the new injectors. It also wouldn't hurt to check the injector pump timing.

There is good info about all of this on the mercedesshop.com site, and links to other sites with how-to articles.