Glad I got a good deal on the truck, it's killing me in parts!

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Started out looking for a slight noise in frontend, 2 wasted axle u-joints, a left leaking axle seal, left spindle bearing trashed, pinion bearing wasted, pinion seal leaking, had to buy one ton socket for bearing lock rings. AND I still have to put rear axle seals and bearings in the pig. Sometimes I wonder if a payment really is less expensive in the long run. Just complaining, you all have been there also.

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never been there... all my 500 dollar trucks run perfect.........

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I understand what You say, I had to buy a rebuild engine for My truck 1k miles after I bought it and spend too much money in it to post it here. I still think that spending a few hundreds/thousands in a truck to make it almost new is way better than knowing You'll be stuck on payments for a brand new truck that can give You problems during/after warranty and You still have to pay for it. Give it time and it'll make it up to You.:D

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
The problem seems to be, that when you are done doing the payments, you have to start doing all the things that you are doing right now. So why not just skip the whole payment thing to start with ;)

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem seems to be, that when you are done doing the payments, you have to start doing all the things that you are doing right now. So why not just skip the whole payment thing to start with ;)

|stupid There's a certain amount of satisfaction to be had with doing things yourself and getting your truck the way that YOU want it.....Old trucks wouldn't be so damn fun if you didn't have to work on them a little.:D

"Don't laugh it's paid for" and if it's paid for you don't have to worry about having enough money at the end of the month to pay for it if "**** happens" and things unfortunatly go south on you.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I figure on spending 2 to 3K on any used vehicle purchase, because I'll go through the whole thing and dump a lot of new parts on it as a preventative measure. Now, if you were replacing new parts, you'd have reason to complain. Spend it all up front, and then you won't have to be working on it all the time.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last new truck I bought was in 02, it was 36K. (F350 diesel) The payments were $600 / month for 5 years.

Let me know when you spend that much on your used truck. I'm waiting.....

pafixitman

Reaction score
I have spent more money on my truck than any car I have ever owned. Probably almost as much as all my other cars combined! None of my other cars needed a CD player, leather bucket seats, 6 gauges, turbo ...:D

A year after we married I got my wife a Mazda 626 (car shopping for weeks and she saw this and said "That is the car." I bought it.) Brand spanking new. Air bag light was on because of a pinched wire in the dash. In 100,000 miles warranty paid for $8,000 in repairs, not including rental cars. This also does not cover routine maintenance items (tires, struts, oil, brakes, exhaust, batteries) That was the last new car we bought. I had a Chevy venture minivan after needing the third intake gasket in 18,000 miles I traded it on a 1 year older, 10,000 more mile Explorer. Give me Fords and give me used. New cars are no better or worse than used.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last new truck I bought was in 02, it was 36K. (F350 diesel) The payments were $600 / month for 5 years.

Let me know when you spend that much on your used truck. I'm waiting.....

Spent almost $600 on it today alone:D Hopefully I won't have to keep up that pace very long.

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I gave up my 01 dodge cummins ext cab long bed 4x4 for a house payment and a non turbo f-350, sometimes I wish I'd kept the dodge as it would have been paid for by now, then bought the house. You guys will surely have a lot to say about that. and no it was not stock. But in the end, the dodge was already starting to show rust at the bottom seam on the doors, and my 92 has no rust anywhere. Ford quality metal? or horrible dodge body? I think grand total so far I probably have 3500 or slightly more into the truck. So back to the garage I go.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Heck, the way I look at it, if is a wear item, they're gonna need replacing either after the payments are done or after the purchase. I look at it as preventative maintenance.
Like others have said it's still cheaper than a payment.
If it helps, I paid $4500 for Goldie and turned around and dropped another $4000 in it a year later refurbishing it from the ground up, plus adding the turbo.
So I have almost $10,000 in a truck that I've run 20k since I took possession.
I'm still ahead of wifey's truck making that $550/month payment.;Sweet

It's all good.

Dalvaras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 16 yr old truck has no rust on the cab anywhere. I figure I can put 3000 per year in it for the next 10 years doing what I do for a living and still be far ahead of going out tomorrow and buying a new one that will probably be wore out in less than 5 years.... I don't know but thats just my thinkin

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
had a new 00 psd at 720/ month, put a whole lot into mods, but not much in the way of needed repairs, 1 set of brakes, 1 wheel brng. drove it for 75k trouble free miles, then the body went south.
got this 92, truck Ive ever done the most work too. but its paid for.
my 96 CC was had for the right price, but up front I also put alot into it to get it runnin good, now its more mods than needed work.
but even with all the mods / work I only have around 16k in it, cant buy a new CC 4x4 diesel for less than 45k.
and besides that the new ones come with that god awfull 6.0.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
had a new 00 psd at 720/ month, put a whole lot into mods, but not much in the way of needed repairs, 1 set of brakes, 1 wheel brng. drove it for 75k trouble free miles, then the body went south.

nick did the body crap out on it's own or are you talking about your wreck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online