Getting Bad Vibration in Front End!

Y2KPSD

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I need some help. I'm getting a very bad vibration in the front end after rotating my tires! So I rotated them again and still have the vibration. It starts at around 75mph and gets worse the faster I go. It goes away if I slow down to 70mph. I checked the wheel bearings and ball joints and all were OK. The center drag link had a lot of play in it so I replaced it and now the vibration starts at 85mph instead of 75mph. I also installed a aftermarket steering damper.

Is it possible one of the tires is bad? I only have 24k on the BFG/AT's. This is my second set of BFG's without any problems. I used to rotate front to back but this time, as per the owners manual, I cross rotated.

I might mention that I'm getting some "bounce" in the front end so I checked the shocks (Bilsteins) which are less then 1 year old and they are OK. I'm beginning to think maybe it's a bad tire, like out of round or a shifted belt, if that's possible. But then I've rotated twice with the same results. If it was as simple as a tire out of balance wouldn't it go away when I rotated that tire to the rear?

This all started when I rotated the tires. Until then everything was A-OK. Any suggestions?

Y2KPSD

Mastertech

Car Doc
Reaction score
Since you had no problems at all with a vibration until the tire rotation maybe you need to check and make sure there is no rust or something keeping the wheels from seating properly on the hubs. If that checks out I would have the tires balanced just to make sure they're OK.

BJS

Reaction score
well the fact that it triggered when you rotated your tires I'd tend to go there but since it sounds like you've explored them I'd see about having them re balanced and checked for roundness.

I'm not too certian about the setup of the suspension on the superduty realizing that they changed some things between the OBS and the superduty trucks when I had a violent vibration that was intermittent initially only @ speed then it worked it's way down to lower speeds the problem was the tracbar bushings.

Bushhog

Reaction score
I've had a similar problem before and it was tires. Only differance was mine pulled after rotation not viberated.

Y2KPSD

Reaction score
Well, I rotated the tires for the third time but this time I rotated front to back and did not cross rotate as per the owners manual and the vibration is completely gone! So I'm convienced that one of the tires that I rotated from the front to the back is out of balance or out of round or something. I'm going to have them checked tomorrow to see just exactly what's wrong with those tires. I ran the truck up to 92mph today on the highway and it was as steady as a rock. ;Sweet No wobble, no shake, no vibration, just a whole lot of gitty-up! :D

Y2KPSD :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online